Anyone burn Sycamore

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea I gotta be bored to try to split on this bunch of sycamore I've got... I'll do a little bit then get tired of dodging the exploding chunks of it... Ugh... Lol seriously it's an accident waiting to happen.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Does it really smell that bad when burned?

Can't answer that one JR, the owb doesn't give me a chance to smell it and I mix it with maple or poplar or both.

Can't answer that one JR, the owb doesn't give me a chance to smell it and I mix it with maple or poplar or both.

That what I planned on doing myself anyway, he'll it's here I'll try splitting it or it will be my practice wood for my 357 mod.

It noodles better than it splits but maybe it's my splitters lol. Maybe it splits better green. Mine is pretty seasoned.

I just split a couple of pieces. I see how it tears, seams to do better if you split with the growth, didn't explode apart on me at all, but still smells like a game farm lol .....first load...last load

Yea a guy down the road gave me a huge sycamore log this spring, it was a tree they dropped at one point, the trunk was all that was left. 30" average diameter, 30' long. I got half of it home and have been putting off the other half but I already drug it out and had agreed to take it. At least it's only a mile away. There will be no next time for sycamore lol heck I'm getting where I don't even like yard trees anymore especially maples they grow so f'd up sometimes here. Royal pain. Lots of crotches in them. I like good straight logs lol hey don't we all?

I'm going to start splitting it in a couple of days, give a wirl next season.

Just an update, split a bunch of the game farm wood with no problems besides the smell of deer shi* permeating the air. If this smells anything like this or worse when burned, my neighbors are gonna think I'm burning dung

I burn tons of it in my OWB it does well. I have acres of it along the creek that runs thru the farm. It is a bear to split and dry but it turns cold water into hot water and hot water into a warm house.

Well I finished splitting the rounds was about a half cord. Not terrible to split, but it has no regular grain or pattern and just breaks where ever it wants at times. Fortunately I get other wood and this will be my last Sycamore.

Well I finished splitting the rounds was about a half cord. Not terrible to split, but it has no regular grain or pattern and just breaks where ever it wants at times. Fortunately I get other wood and this will be my last Sycamore.
Yep, it's all part of the firewood learning curve and it sounds like you've added Sycamore to your mental list of woods to pass on...wise move. I've wasted time on Willow, Cottonwood , Basswood, Buckeye and Poplar , but only took me once to know the effort wasn't worth the reward.

It depends on the space and time you have to dedicate to wood, for me I have little of ether so I need to make the most of them.

I must be the oddball (heard that before!) but I like Sycamore....yes, it's heavy when wet, very light when dry, but it ignites easily and burns okay, not great but not poor either. I'll take it from you if you want to unload it! :D [emoji14]
I can only agree on the heavey part but all wood is heavey to me when wet anyhow. I just found that when I split it instead of getting consistent splits, it would start splitting and then just break or tear and I'd end up with a 10 inch odd shaped split. Don't get me wrong all wood will burn but this stuff even added to being difficult to stack with it odds and ends lol

Back