Anyone burn Sycamore

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lol..I'm calling your bluff on that one, unc!

Nope. I'd throw it in the street. I really do hate it so bad I'd never burn it in my stove.

But then again, if I had no other wood at all I'd probably burn it, but I sure wouldn't be smiling about it, and I'd find something else to burn asap - like my neighbor's fence or something.

Nope. I'd throw it in the street. I really do hate it so bad I'd never burn it in my stove.

But then again, if I had no other wood at all I'd probably burn it, but I sure wouldn't be smiling about it, and I'd find something else to burn asap - like my neighbor's fence or something.
My neighbors fence LMAO! !!!

it is comparable to poplar i burn a lot of it in when the weather is mild. save my hardwoods for when it colder. it splits easy for me though it is easier to split green.

I really can't say anything bad about it. If I didn't have a hydro then yes I would pass, but the hydro has no problems. I burned a cord last spring and I have one more to go thru this fall before I get to the good stuff. Maybe it doesn't mean much coming from me tho because I also burn pine and willow. All three will hold my house at 74-75 for at least 4-5hrs once the outside temps get into the 20's. If it's 35 or warmer no trouble getting a 8hr burn cycle.

I'll burn it in the fire pit but it's a wood than annoys me to handle. I have access to a lot better woods so I take those and usually leave the sycamore to the woodpeckers. They need the grubs to eat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had to come back to this and update my experience and new opinion of Sycamore.....
"I don't like it"
First off, it smells like a deer pen when wet.
Second it smells like a bigger deer pen when burned.
It leaves NO coals and produces a lot of Ash.
I actually burned a bunch the other night outside in the firepit and my house still smells from this "wood". It irritated the hell out of my throat also. It wasn't a smoky fire, this stuff just needs to be vented in a stove pipe away from everyone.
I found a new use for it though, I,m gonna give it to my favorite brother in-law to burn.....lmao.
Oh and it splits like sh@t too.
(Man that was a rant, I feel better)

I tried to warn you! I wouldn't burn it for free, even if the zombies attacked. :crazy2:

Next time you'd better listen to your Uncle! :laugh::laugh:
You did try!!! Im no wood brat, I figured it couldn't be that bad lol
The only thing I can say in a more positive light is that it seasons the fastest and that is it.
when I burned it inside the stove and saw all the ash it produced, I said ok it's firepit wood. Then when I burned it outside, I said it's my brother in-laws wood [emoji38] [emoji38]

I had a neighbor that had some sycamore trees taken down. He was able to get the crew to buck them up because another friend and I wanted to split and burn. It was a mistake. Splits very bad, burns quick, ashes up too much. You spend too much time messing with it when you could be spending less time on better wood. Leave it!

I had a neighbor that had some sycamore trees taken down. He was able to get the crew to buck them up because another friend and I wanted to split and burn. It was a mistake. Splits very bad, burns quick, ashes up too much. You spend too much time messing with it when you could be spending less time on better wood. Leave it!
I guess i had to learn that way also. I was told the same thing and didnt listen. It wasnt the biggest load, so i said i would give it a try. Now i am gonna offer it (with a smile) to my brother in-law and my most considerate neighbot. Lol

My contractor buddy called me yesterday and asked, Want some sycamore for firewood. right over the hill from my house. I never turn down free wood, but I had to turn this load down. Not because I am a firewood snob, but because I am currently disabled and couldnt go get it. Told him my situation and I thanked him for his offer, but we decided it was just best for him to throw it into the burn pile with all the rest of the brush.

Back