Anyone else burning yet?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can hardly imagine anyone in Georgia needing heat, lol :) I will probably be ice fishing before you take the a/c out of the window.

It gets cold enough here. We get some snows, everything freezes, etc. I have seen it below zero a couple times, but a cold day here in the winter is usually teens. Cold enough to need heat.

I don't use AC myself, although most people do, don't even have any installed. I just adapt season to season. Not using the Ac ever is a serious big help on dealing with the summer heat and being able to work outside. I cut and split year 'round, especially in the summer as the terrain is more passable then, less mud.

I lived up north growing up and into my early 30s, plenty familiar with real dang cold, and where I started sawing and heating with wood. Ya, not that cold here, but you do need heat in the winter.

I like ice fishing OK, but truth be told I like walking up to the farm pond and casting out about anywhere and dragging in largemouths much better. I also like the year round gardening season here better.

Different strokes, lived a lot of places, like it here just fine. We get "enough" of a winter to give the trees a nice dormant spell, have wood fires be cozy, but we manage to avoid having our roads being inch deep crusted salt that rusts out your vehicles. I am *really* spoiled, I couldn't possibly even consider a used yankee vehicle anymore after having all these nice used near rust free rides.....Best bonus! We live just a scosh outside the "salt on the road" and frost heaves and pot holes belt, it's great!

Haven't even considered it yet. Night time temps have only been going down to the 50's. One night managed to hit 49, but it's only 61 right now.

I'm about a month away from lighting up. Generally have a few fires in md to late Sept. It's usually a combination of Sept's cooler temps and a couple of rainy days with no sun that trigger the first fires.

One thing that I fine interesting is that out of the 12 months in the year, there are only 3 in which there is no burning at all. (June, July and August.) With sporadic burning starting in Sept and then ending with a few fires in early May, that's 9 months that some heat is needed.

How does that break down for some of you guys in other parts of the country?

Not even close down here. Was 92 today and that was after a cold front came through Sunday night. It's usually the end of November before the insert sees any wood. I'm ready though!

No fire here. We got the windows wide open though. Temps going back into the 90's tomorrow. Blahhh.

Temps just getting into upper 50's at night. Can't wait for it to get into 40's. Its not the heat so much, but the humidity that gets me. When you walk outside and without doing anything the sweat just drips off you. Come on Fall!

Yesterday on my way to an early morning appointment I noticed the odor of a wood fire and observed smoke. Surprised me as the early morning chill could be locked down with a sweater I thought. For us no fires yet and not for a long time to come...I hope.

Not here.. Just finished stacking 2013/2014 firewood, this years has been cut split and stacked for a year and a half. Now I need to start finding 2014/2015 wood to cut!

Haven't even considered it yet. Night time temps have only been going down to the 50's. One night managed to hit 49, but it's only 61 right now.

I'm about a month away from lighting up. Generally have a few fires in md to late Sept. It's usually a combination of Sept's cooler temps and a couple of rainy days with no sun that trigger the first fires.

One thing that I fine interesting is that out of the 12 months in the year, there are only 3 in which there is no burning at all. (June, July and August.) With sporadic burning starting in Sept and then ending with a few fires in early May, that's 9 months that some heat is needed.

Like my Daddy used to say about plantin' trees--Do it in any month with an, "r" in its name. With wood heat it's the same; any month with an r.

Brrrrrrr.

Usually it's anywhere from mid/late September - Early October before we start burning. One year we made it to November before we lit a fire. Just depends on the year.

This spring we quit the first week of April. Some years though we've burned through May.

This winter I expect to fire up for hot water starting about the middle of September and kicking it on for morning warmups about then as well. My wife likes it warm in the morning but I like to sleep with the windows open nice and cold at night.

Because I took July off of cutting though I've been cutting like crazy to make up for lost time.

Never stopped since last September. Had to keep the owb going as the electric water heaters has either a bad thermostat or fouled up element. Been so busy with other projects that I haven't had the desire to work in the crawlspace to fix the water heater.

Like my Daddy used to say about plantin' trees--Do it in any month with an, "r" in its name. With wood heat it's the same; any month with an r.

Brrrrrrr.

That's what we used to say about deer hunting, the venison tastes good when taken in any month with a R in it. lol

I'll preface this by saying I get away with this by living alone...

I don't light the stove till the basement temp drops below 60°. The basement is a much better gauge, upstairs temps fluctuate pretty wildly when the sun hits the house.

That's usually early to Mid October. By late April, the reverse applies. As long as the little heat light in the bathroom works when I get out of the shower, that's all I care about.

Were there a dept of wife and kids, Mid Sept - Mid May would be realistic here as well.

Well all I was doing was lighting a quickie, burns maybe 2 hours, takes the chill out. Our old farm house living space is 2400 sq ft.

Never stopped since last September. Had to keep the owb going as the electric water heaters has either a bad thermostat or fouled up element. Been so busy with other projects that I haven't had the desire to work in the crawlspace to fix the water heater.

Seems fixing the water heater would be easier than keeping a OWB going all Summer eh?

I am burning the OWB too it saves quite a biit on the electric bill plus dont use any wood and i can have unlimited supply of hotwater:clap:

sorry coldfront should have done a spellcheck i meant dont use hardly any wood at all like 5 pieces of chunkwood goes for like 3 days

Latest posts

Back