Anyone else cuttin popple? Love cuttin popple! Soo easy!! :)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
big tooth, is a fun cut when solid. the bigger trunks are cord makers with a full set of chokers(5) in the first 100" of 24 " to 30" butt cuts. seems as of late the sticks are running 5 long to the top @ 6" with the bigger poles having conks and rotted centers/hollowed out just good for bedding! looks like your turns are producing some decent paneling bolts! I am cutting in low land again so the recent rain has mudded up everything.

Come out here when the Doug fir bark starts slipping even with corks on the big 2nd growth you go for a ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Come out here when the Doug fir bark starts slipping even with corks on the big 2nd growth you go for a ride.

Yeah I could see that in thick bark. Our thick bark trees like bur oak don't seem to slip so bad. About half the logs I have on the landing right now are peeled. I should get extra for that!

It may help putting the long frame on there that's what we did to our 440

Nah I like my little set up the way it is :) Can haul bout cord of nice pulp ( 5 chokers) if it's big stuff no prob and bout 3/4 of cord firewood (6-7 chokers) of smaller firewood. Seems work out for this one man operation :)

I'm surprised you don't run chains. I grew up in Maine and until recently I thought all skidders had chains on them!

My little 440 b. That's bout all she can handle!! Ha :)
Good machine, I'm sure it doesn't owe you anything. My stand here is 50% white popular. Was thinking of making a cabin out of some of them. Some are 18" DBH. Should get at it while bark is loose, but alas I have to peel some Alaska Sitka for a house. Big wood, 20" tips at 40'.
Pics forthcoming.

I'm surprised you don't run chains. I grew up in Maine and until recently I thought all skidders had chains on them!
It seems when it's flatter than piss on a plate and dry you don't need chain as long as you have a bit of tread.
Chains make a lot of difference in every situation. They are pita to move around and install . I had some ring chain when I had a 540a. Talk about climb.

It seems when it's flatter than piss on a plate and dry you don't need chain as long as you have a bit of tread.
Chains make a lot of difference in every situation. They are pita to move around and install . I had some ring chain when I had a 540a. Talk about climb.
That happen during one of your blackouts?

Back