Anyone else miss the blue exhaust smoke!?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tell you what. I've got an old Mac 605 that will fill up your whole back yard for five minutes with blue smoke every time you start it cold. After about a quarter tank of fuel, it eventually quits. You're welcome to borrow it any time. I've been told that the fuel tank picks up a smidgen or two of bar oil whenever it sits. They were notorious for that.

I am such a fan of two stroke things I surely start them all the time to get a fix. I always run good oil and error on the heavy side between 32-40:1. I do have 2 pieces tuned to 100:1 just for kicks. A poulan leaf blower and a 3314 I am sceptical of the oil but I am going for a punishment test. I pulled down the blower this fall after many many hours wot at 100:1 tuned right tho, and it was lubed well in the case and the top end looked perfect. I do run everything else at a normal ratio on the same oil. At 32:1 they take a bit to clean up and hit the power band (2 stroke in the cut). Once warm no smoke no spooge clean chamber tan/dry muffler and plug. Since I love the smoke and smell I will probably never run 100:1 in anything but it's good to know it can do it if I need it to. I bet to get some smoke while warm and while cutting it have to be close to 16:1 or even more oil then that. Even then it may burn clean.

I am impressed with it so far. I only did it to see if it's possible to keep a motor alive with it at 100:1. So I started with the strato 3314 it always seemed to have way more oil in it then my normal other 2 strokes. It did require leaning out the tune on both the blower and the saw maybe 1/8 turn and I left them a touch rich being careful. I thought I would scuff a piston on the first tank. I have now ran about 10 gal thru the blower and getting close to 20 gal of mix on the saw. They do run about 20 degrees hotter cyl temp but still under 350 during a long time wot pull. I still don't think I'd ever really try to run one like this unless I made a mistake. It does give me a good comfort knowing it will run at 100:1 so I must be really safe at 32-40:1.

I guess no one has a Mac 605, 610, etc. That's the way it is these days. I can produce all the blue smoke that I want with saws that also start and run well with plenty of power. What that means is that I am in a class by myself. Thanks OP, I appreciate taking part in the thread.

just run 24:1 and a rich jetting, make sure the cooling fins are clean so the cylinder temp stays as low as possible.. that'll make it smoke

My P28 puffs smoke with the same mix as my other saws, yamalube at 40:1. Why do I mix my saws at 40:1? Because that's what I mix my motorsickles at and its way simpler running the same fuel in everything!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You need a stihl 08. I just fixed one that wouldnt start. Man that thing smoked so bad i couldnt see my woodpile 15 yards away.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Back