Anyone else sick of burning wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::agree2:

I reckon a lot of folks don't deal with our Humidity, mud, bugs and greenbrier when there isn't snow on the ground.
Gimme the snow! When all else fails just drop 'em, and come back for them when it starts to thaw enough to get the tractor at it.

420JD eh? Ya ever get over to the Flywheelers for the annual get together?

BTW I'm just south of S.Haven, you?

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I'm South & West of Battle Creek. The last Flywheeler event I was at was probably at least 10 years ago when it was at Hartford. It was a Case reuinion and somebody had the biggest Case I've ever seen. Around here they get together at Scotts Mill and up at Charlton Park. Dad used to take me to engine shows when I was a kid, think him & Grandpa srarted the CAD & BED in my head!

I'm a firebug by nature so I love firing up the old 1920's sears potbelly. It's my only source of heat for my woodshop and it keeps me very toasty. I just bought the woodburner a few years ago and this is my first season burning wood that I got for free from the local tree services. It feels good knowing I am heating my shop for basically no money, just sweat and a few gallons of gas for transport.

I've stated this in a previous post. I burn wood because I want to, not because I have to. That has been the difference for me. I enjoy the work, I enjoy the heat, I enjoy the saws, the timber, etc....but we just have a 55,000 btu fireplace insert that runs every minute I'm home from November thru March. As my dad would say, "It takes the chill out of the house". If the LP furnace kicks in at 5 am, I don't get my panties in a wad, I just know that when I get home from work, my gal will be in the kitchen filling the house with wonderful aromas, and I'll be working on building a nice fire for the evening. Do it because you can, don't make "work" out of it.

Exercise!

I would have to agree with everyone about getting older and slowing down. It ain't no fun. Most of my work is in the summer and by February I'm going crazy for something to do and bringing wood in from the pile breaks the monotony of boredom. I will bring up a wheelbarrow load from my pile and one wheelbarrow equals three Brute garbage cans full which equals six trips up and down the steps (three loaded and three unloaded). If I stack a half cord it takes me a couple of hours and my knees let me know if the can was too heavy or if I made too many trips. Someone mentioned something about a conveyor belt on here.......... hahahaha. I have been kicking around the idea of storm doors leading into the basement.... who on here reading this has a burner in the basement and how do you get your wood down there? I am kinda curious if everyone does it like me or have you found an easier way (pay the kids, threaten the old lady about not having heat if she don't help, someone owes you a "favor", etc...)? Found out my steps don't care a whole lot for me missing the basement floor when I toss them downstairs being lazy........ooops!

Everytime that I get tired of hauling wood to my hungry wood furnace, I just think of how much it saves me on the propane bill. Every penny that I can take away from petroleum companies just motivates me more. I am fighting a sore shoulder and I still would rather haul the wood than use the propane. I have used a total of 40 gallons of propane this winter during extended severe cold.

Besides that, it just gives me a reason to run my saws even more than I do just clearing trees!

who on here reading this has a burner in the basement and how do you get your wood down there? I am kinda curious if everyone does it like me or have you found an easier way

All our wood goes right in the cellar. (It's a cellar dirt floor and all, not a basement) Got a big old Sam Daniels furnace down there and a blown hot air delivery system. Wood goes in through grade level windows, one of which has a wood flap on it, used to be access to the coal bin. Last year I bought one of those steel roller conveyors. the kind you see them moving boxes around a warehouse. Prop it up on one end and stick the other end in the window port. Down angle about thirty degrees. Take wood right off the truck and it rolls down the conveyor and drops into the cellar. The thing saves a couple of steps. Have room for about six cords down there. I'd hate to have to be running out to a wood pile all the time when it's zero out.

I'm not tired of burnin' wood yet. It's been kinda warm here lately and the only thing wrong with that is that I have to let the stove go out and relight it or get it too hot in the house. The weatherman says it's gonna cool down again tomorrow so maybe I'll have a continuous burn.

I usually don't cut wood in the winter 'cause I'm a scrounger and I don't have it available. This winter I found some big oak, some of it up to about 40" that I've been workin' on but I have to wait until the ground is frozen. Two or three more loads and I'll be done with that.

I love cuttin' and like splittin' but I don't care for loading and unloading. Stackin' ain't too bad. I've got a walkout basement and a shed just outside the door that holds almost a cord of wood. I keep it fairly full most of the time so all I have to do is open the basement door, grab a stick or two and throw it in the stove. The total distance from shed to stove is about 15 feet. Ain't life good. :cheers:

I would have to agree with everyone about getting older and slowing down. It ain't no fun. Most of my work is in the summer and by February I'm going crazy for something to do and bringing wood in from the pile breaks the monotony of boredom. I will bring up a wheelbarrow load from my pile and one wheelbarrow equals three Brute garbage cans full which equals six trips up and down the steps (three loaded and three unloaded). If I stack a half cord it takes me a couple of hours and my knees let me know if the can was too heavy or if I made too many trips. Someone mentioned something about a conveyor belt on here.......... hahahaha. I have been kicking around the idea of storm doors leading into the basement.... who on here reading this has a burner in the basement and how do you get your wood down there? I am kinda curious if everyone does it like me or have you found an easier way (pay the kids, threaten the old lady about not having heat if she don't help, someone owes you a "favor", etc...)? Found out my steps don't care a whole lot for me missing the basement floor when I toss them downstairs being lazy........ooops!
yah--when i dug the basement under the back part of the house that was crawl space---i got a old coal door from a unused house,and put that on the east side of the basement--right outside is where i split and stack the wood. so when its dry--thru the coal door it goes--and is stacked under the new part of the basement---12 wide,8 high.24 foot long---lots of wood storage--!!!!that was my plan not long after i started to burn--just took a few years before i got that done--no more up and down stairs---makes for much less work!!!!!

staying w/firewood

I tell the guys that work for me to save every limb of hard wood bigger than their wrist, and to chip only the stubborn stuff. Then we hall back the wood to the yard and stack it. When they come back early from a job or there is not much to do they split wood. This way they still get their 40 hours and there is always wood ready to sell or burn.

never sick of burning wood

Ive been heating with wood for the last twenty years.To me its the best thing we ever did to this house,(putting in a wood stove) The smell of oak & cedar burning is a pleasure.Not to mention the joy of the saw firing up in the fall.Am I nuts? I look forward to cutting firewood and even take vacations to do it.Being out in the woods with all the fresh air is great.Ill continue to heat with wood as long as I am able!

cover_e.jpg

http://www.citrusinthesnow.com/

Burning wood IS fun, but.....that is just too easy and maintenance free to ignore!

Blessings in Christ Yeshua

To the Op....

No I'm not sick of it. I miss it.

I have not ran a saw in about a year other than taking out a few overgrown bushes. I miss the physical activity of splitting firewood, and I miss the cheap "gas" bills

Hopefully I'll find a new place when I get back stateside to be able to burn wood again

Time to burn.....

Swamprat: no I don't have a window available. I'm still considering knocking a hole in the basement for cellar doors though. I am going to install footer drains this summer (house built in 1920. don't even have clay tiles and I just LOVE water seeping in the basement) and I thought that maybe then would be a good time to do the doors too.

sbhooper: Amen. Couldn't agree more about NOT using propane. Haven't used anything but wood at all this year and probably won't have to. Loving it!

oldchuck: I'd love to see a pic of how you do that! Sounds like a good system. Being only my second year of burning, I am still testing the waters of how much wood I use. Next year, I will be taking measurements and whatnot to find out EXACTLY how much I go through. Think I have burned about four cord so far this year, but that is only a guess since I didn't do any REAL world measuring. I don't have enough room down there to put 6 cords in like you but on the other hand we usually get some kind of break in the weather (was just 45 degrees in Ohio a few days ago and melted all the snow in the yard) so that I can replenish my supply.

olyman: I have a similar crawlspace on the back of my house. Someone added on a back porch/storage room in the 70's and I have been considering digging it out completely for just wood storage when I do my footer drains. Gotta figure out a system to keep that area upright if I do decide to dig it out. Got any more coal doors? haha

And I agree with everyone else about burning wood until I can't no more. I'll be 90 and still running saws. Screw the arabs, propane/gas companies, and anyone else who overcharges us to keep warm! Nothing like a woodburning fellas ingenuity for getting it to where we need it!

I just got my oil tanks filled today.

280 gallons since October. That's for heating a 250+ year old, 4,000 sq ft, uninsulated farmhouse with drafty windows from the 30's. Including DHW. Considering how cold it's been this winter, that really isn't too bad I don't think.

I like to put wood in the stove in the day but not at night. It ruins my nights sleep. I will be glad when spring is here!

Latest posts

Back