Anyone Ever Burn Alianthus?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

njtuna

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
just curious. they are all over the place, and grow extremely fast. but when i have cut branches, i couldn't stand the stench they give off.

Nothing is wrong with burning it as it is used for firewood in Asia but I wouldn't go very far out of the way to harvest it. The wood that resembles it the closest is aspen/poplar except maybe less burn time. Very low btus and does not coal. i.e. A 4 inch diameter log will last about 15-20 minutes tops in the stove and leaves lots of ash. Its a decent wood for starting fires or if you want a really short hot fire to get the chill off.

I had to clear some smaller trees on my cliffside property for my walkway to my dock. Since I had to dispose of the waste I used the small branches as crappie beds and the trunks and larger branches as firewood.

The tree is also very difficult to exterminate if that is your intention.

Last edited:
Nothing is wrong with burning it as it is used for firewood in Asia but I wouldn't go very far out of the way to harvest it. The wood that resembles it the closest is aspen/poplar except maybe less burn time. Very low btus and does not coal. i.e. A 4 inch diameter log will last about 15-20 minutes tops in the stove and leaves lots of ash. Its a decent wood for starting fires or if you want a really short hot fire to get the chill off.

I had to clear some smaller trees on my cliffside property for my walkway to my dock. Since I had to dispose of the waste I used the small branches as crappie beds and the trunks and larger branches as firewood.

The tree is also very difficult to exterminate if that is your intention.

Ditto what he said! SUCKS for firewood, and unless you're on it all the time, it just keeps popping back up......

it is a pest of a weed. a neighbor has a very large one about 250ft from our house, and i get tons of tree sprouts every year. must have a 99% germination rate. was just curious b/c i saw someone trying to give it away as firewood. it smells really badly when live, was wondering if it smelled bad when it burned too. we used to live on a cliff in a very urban area, and these trees were all over. know what you mean about staying on top of them. you cut them down, and they literally grow back 5 feet in a season

NJ -Aspen doesn't smell that great either when burned but it isn't dangerous like poison sumac which is an ailanthus look-a-like. This wood is not the kind you can damper down much. Once the wood is dry it loses much of its offensive odor. The wood doesn't take that long to dry out if kept dry and in the sun. If you have a place to store it, the firewood is already cut and split and has seasoned some, and you aren't driving much past a mile I would accept it but make sure you use it within the season as the wood deteriorates quickly.

Latest posts

Back