Anyone ever rebuild a Haldex 2 stage pump?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juanni

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Well, short version of a long story I bought a 'new' w/o box Haldex 22gpm pump off Ebay for a great price. It looked new but it had clearly been installed before. Seller buys and sells distressed merchandise and didn't know any of the history about the pump, but did knock a large chunk off the price rather than a return.

So I took a gamble, only to finally power it up and discover a small leak between cast sections where it bolts together. The leak was small because it was only a new splitter test run and not splitting wood and reaching higher pressures.

Anyway there is little to no info I can find on repairing these pumps. Northern sells some repair parts, but my main concern is what is the very thin plastic?? material that serves as a gasket between sections? Or what should I use as a substitute?
I haven't torn it down yet but a suspect a a void in the casting or gasket material. Can't imagine a crack in that location.

Any advise?

Repair parts are generally not available for these gear pumps because the hydraulic shop charge rates and down time are not cost effective.
Also the side clearance of the gears is critical .Too thin of gasket and the gears will bind . Too thick of gasket and the fluid can bypass.

The videos that I watched, I don’t think there IS a gasket. Just a spray that they use. If you have the time, playing with it isn’t going to cost much.

Repair parts are generally not available for these gear pumps because the hydraulic shop charge rates and down time are not cost effective.
Also the side clearance of the gears is critical .Too thin of gasket and the gears will bind . Too thick of gasket and the fluid can bypass.

LOL,,, I haven't even checked to see if the 4 bolts are tight, let alone tore it down or determined the problem and it is already time to throw probably the most expensive 2 stage log splitter pump, $370 in the scrap pile.
Some internal parts are available from Northern, so obviously those pumps are serviceable, they just don't know what that gasket/film is.

LOL,,, I haven't even checked to see if the 4 bolts are tight, let alone tore it down or determined the problem and it is already time to throw probably the most expensive 2 stage log splitter pump, $370 in the scrap pile.
Some internal parts are available from Northern, so obviously those pumps are serviceable, they just don't know what that gasket/film is.

If you paid $370 you didn't get any sort of deal. New they are around $200. That's why it's generally not worth rebuilding. Some pumps you can buy the sections and just replace those, reusing the input shaft, front cover and end cover, but those pumps use a brass wear plate, where the cheaper pumps don't have that, the gears runs right on the 2 covers.
Pretty much everything is replaced in that case, so it only makes sense to just buy a new pump.

Anyhow, pull it apart if the case bolts are tight.

If it has an O ring seal, replace it. May need the actual formed o ring all depending (may be availble from haldex, not sure, I'm not familar with their pumps.)

If it's that thin plastic "gasket" clean if off, "deck" the 2 sides with a fine sandpaper glued on a granite plate (or thick glass works in a pinch) spray with a LIGHT coat of make a gasket and stick it back together.

You said you didn't want to put $370 in the scrap pile, so I figured that's what it cost.

https://www.amazon.com/STAGE-SPLITTER-1080085-HALDEX-BARNES/dp/B0192ATGCG

http://www.surpluscenter.com/Hydrau...-Pumps/22-GPM-Dynamic-2-Stage-Pump-9-7970.axd

I put a new section in the triplex pump on my processor, it was about $200 for the section, gears, wear plates, o rings, threaded rod and shipping. 30gpm.
Permco... made in China.
Not much is made in USA anymore for hydraulic stuff. What is is stupid expensive... like fittings that are 2-4x more than the Chinese fitting. Or do like the local hydraulic outfit, sell china fittings for USA prices.

Not sure why it's making a line under the text, I'm not doing that!

Y

Not sure why it's making a line under the text, I'm not doing that!

LOL, I am not sure why some of my text is green.

Concentric/Haldex is made in the USA and used to be Haldex/Barnes, before that they used to be John A Barnes. The Northern Rep said that they had a note that Concentric does not accept calls from customers. I sent an email to them inquiring about parts, they haven't replied. I expect they won't.
I have used their pumps on all my past splitter builds, they are probably another US manufacturer that won't be around much longer with those business practices.

They can’t answer calls on a retail basis or they would be swamped with thousands of various products. They sell everything from pumps to train controls and air brakes. The support comes from the vendor who made the machine, or the area reps that call on those vendors. Most companies are that way.

shaft seals you can probably source an any good bearing house. They are almost assuredly Parker lip seals. Orings between sections are likely standard also, just bent around in some wierd shape in a groove. Side plates I don’t think are replacable. Larger industrial pumps have loose side plates, pressure balanced to energize as the load increases. Even with a $1000-$2000 gear pump, replacement is usually cheaper than repair. Now a $20k hydrostatic pump or motor is worth fixing.

Good news, Concentric sent a parts schematic.
Better news, the schematic shows only o rings and contorted o rings for seals. None of that mystery gasket stuff.
Best news, I torn it down and the factory let one of those contorted o rings out of the groove when they assembled it. Smashed a portion of the o ring to bits causing the leak.
The pumps internals look flawless.
$10 seal kit and it should be fine.

Back