Anyone familiar with a 262xp?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm trying to avoid having too many saws around, considering that I only cut 6 cords a year.... It's tempting to keep them all, and it's not really about the money, it's just that I know if I have three saws around I will end up leaving one home and never using it. So I love the sound and feel of the 041, it's great to bury the bar on that thing, but I know that if I'm cutting all day it won't be long and I'll be going to something lighter. Pretty sure that's always going to be the 262, since it's not only lighter, but also stronger than the 029. (anyone able to confirm the weights of those two? I'm pretty sure the 262 feels lighter) So that means the 029 is only around in case the others won't run. But maybe I should keep it just for that... From the looks of the 262 I'm just not sure if I can count on it. On the other hand, it looks like someone counted on it pretty hard for quite awhile and it's still around.

Any ideas on how much trouble and expense I'd have to go to to get a chain brake on the 262?

I'm trying to avoid having too many saws around, considering that I only cut 6 cords a year.... It's tempting to keep them all, and it's not really about the money, it's just that I know if I have three saws around I will end up leaving one home and never using it. So I love the sound and feel of the 041, it's great to bury the bar on that thing, but I know that if I'm cutting all day it won't be long and I'll be going to something lighter. Pretty sure that's always going to be the 262, since it's not only lighter, but also stronger than the 029. (anyone able to confirm the weights of those two? I'm pretty sure the 262 feels lighter) So that means the 029 is only around in case the others won't run. But maybe I should keep it just for that... From the looks of the 262 I'm just not sure if I can count on it. On the other hand, it looks like someone counted on it pretty hard for quite awhile and it's still around.

Any ideas on how much trouble and expense I'd have to go to to get a chain brake on the 262?

Not much trouble with the chain brake. Mine was broken as well when I bought my 262. Brake band was about 20 dollars or so at the dealer, and I didn't realize at the time but the spring was gone on mine too cost another 10. With the clutch cover removed there is 4 or five screws that take a panel off and from there you can access the brake band. If that saw runs like a 262 can you are going to kick yourself if you don't buy it.

I think I'm going to be looking at replacing the whole chain cover and getting the chain brake handle as well. Whoever had it riveted some sort of cover onto the side cover to close up the hole where the brake handle comes out. Not sure, I haven't opened it up.

Well when i cut for a living I had a 031 041 044 a few homelite 360's and a 262 xp the only saw that I still have after 20 + years is the 262 , doubt I will ever part with it . As mentioned parts are still available . I will probably send this to a builder to have it completely redone , that is if I can stop this insane itching to grab a 390 or 395.

IMG_20111212_081220-1.jpg

Hey Luneburg -- I've talked to you before. I'm just south of you in Lancaster.
Love my 262XP and I had the itch to get a 372XP and went ahead and got one.
Had both saws out Sunday cutting more dead pine to burn at our SugarShack where we produce about 80 gallons of syrup per year from over 100 trees around town.
The 372 is an animal, throaty, and really eats wood.
Having not used the 262 for a while I felled one tree with it and cut a bunch of lengths -- with the 20" bar it just feels right when cutting -- very smooth and just enjoy running that saw!
Really enjoy both the saws -- my brother has a 346XP and a Shindaiwa we inherited from our grandfather -- when we get together to cut stuff, it's a good lineup for us.

262_xp_cropped.jpg

The 372XP from when it was new last year:

372xp_1.jpg

I've been meaning to send the 262 to Randy to go through it and port it if it's worth it (saw in good enough shape inside to put money into).
Hopefully I'll get off my duff and get it out to him before winter is over and more opportunities to cut stuff come up!

The lineup as mentioned above:

2012-11-03_10-42-57_404.jpg

Not to de-rail the thread / off topic, but been meaning to share w/ the guys on here -- my brother and I added one more thing to the lineup just a week ago -- a 2001 brush bandit 250XP chipper w/ John Deere Diesel, Winch, 4 feed wheels, and hydraulic piston to open the mouth etc. Needs a few things (chute piston, one roller bearing, battery box, paint), but we got it for a song (from the original owner we've known for years) and it runs and chips great! Just need to put new vise on the fender vise mount for sharpening saws to produce brush to chip!

2013-03-02_09-46-43_2.jpg

Last edited:
(anyone able to confirm the weights of those two? I'm pretty sure the 262 feels lighter)...Any ideas on how much trouble and expense I'd have to go to to get a chain brake on the 262?

The 029 and 262 are within an ounce or two of each other. The 262 is rated about 1hp more.

The chainbrake from a 257/261/261 will fit. I'm not sure, but a 254 may work too.

Nice

Nice new addition malk315 to your collection.

I am sure the OP is getting the idea of how valuable these saws are to the people who own them and perhaps it will persuade his decision. Of course many wise people have made some great suggestions as usual .
I took the week off to keep my sanity , let me know if you will be boiling this week and Ill stop in shack to say hello .

Last edited:
I think I'm going to be looking at replacing the whole chain cover and getting the chain brake handle as well. Whoever had it riveted some sort of cover onto the side cover to close up the hole where the brake handle comes out. Not sure, I haven't opened it up.

Chainbrake/clutch cover is still available new from Huky......$90.00 or so complete....the good news is that the new ones are alum/mag and not plastic like the originals......nice units..

The MS 440 that I got recently on CL was available because the seller preferred his Husky 262xp and decided that the 440 could go. Must be something to that 262 because the 440 is no slouch.

Question of the year? :cheers:

The answer is of course yes, the 262xp is several levels better - but then you need to consider the condition of the saws....

I knew that the question itself was a no brainer, it's when you factor in the condition of the saws that it becomes a little tougher to decide.

But I'm gathering that the only real question here is whether I am interested in having a better saw that may need some tinkering and tlc, versus having the 029 that is fairly reliable and nice looking, but kind of a dog. (And it seems from what I hear that the 262 will probably always be worth more, especially if I take good care of it and try to make it look a little nicer)

I like to tinker with stuff, but haven't done much with chainsaws, and frankly I've never had a Husqvarna. So maybe I'll have to give this a try.... I better find out just what I have to pay for the saw I guess. Anyone interested in a very nice condition 029 with a muffler mod? ;)

...Anyone interested in a very nice condition 029 with a muffler mod? ;)

No, but I'm interested in a beater, early model 262, if you decide to pass on it.

Even if you have to replace the bearings, piston, seals, fuel line, and carb kit you are into less than $85 in parts. A used chainbrake can be had for $30-40. Splitting the cases and rebuilding from the ground up is a great learing experience. It sounds WAY more intimidating than the actual job turns out to be.

It's mine now

I told my brother I'll take it. I don't want ya'll to think I'm ripping him off, by the way. He paid 50 bucks for it from the mechanic who went through the carb. This mechanic is an old guy who loves to work on small engines, but doesn't charge nearly what it's worth. He just wanted rid of the saw. So my brother got it, and put a new chain on it, and I'm going to give him 100 bucks for it. We're both happy, because he didn't really want the saw to start with.

Hopefully as I get the time I will be able to pick up the parts to add the chain brake back on, and maybe get some nicer plastic for it. I'd love to get this thing back to "like new" condition, but in the meantime I'll probably just be happy to use it to cut some wood.

Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it.

think you made a smart move, good luck and let us know if you need info or parts :msp_thumbup:

262 rep sent

-dave

You will be very happy that you bought the saw. As others have said a great saw out of the box. I still have mine and just replaced it with the 562 AT. I will never get rid of it. Congrats

660 Magnum

My brother is one of those guys to whom good deals show up at the doorstep with a ribbon on them and say, "here I am, take me". That's right, the same guy who finds the 262xp for fifty dollars has now landed a really (and I do mean REALLY) nice 660 magnum for 500 bucks. It's got low hours, is in great shape, and comes with two stilh bars, a 36 and a 25. The 25 looks like it has "maybe" seen a tank full run by it, and the 36 hasn't been worn enough to affect the paint much. It runs great, we played with it this afternoon. Sorry, no pics, maybe later.

P.S. No, he's not selling this one to me. :frown:

I got one up on ya -- I told my brother like 8 years ago I needed a saw and he gave me his 262XP :)
Now that I know the ones w/o decomp valve seem to be more interesting (which mine has no decomp valve) all the more reason to hang on to it.

Just need a 390XP now to round out the lineup...

Muffler mod?

So I have been wondering if there is anything to gain on this 262xp with a muffler mod? Is it worth doing? Will I notice a significant difference?

Not that it's really lacking any power with an 18" bar, I was just wondering if I'm missing out on an added thrill :msp_biggrin:

broken clutch spring

I was cutting with this 262 a bit today, and the clutch seized. (as in, when the chain would stop so would the motor). So I pulled the side cover, and the clutch spring is broken. Can anyone tell me if I can replace just that spring, and how I'd go about doing it? Or do I need to get a new clutch? How does the clutch come off? any help is appreciated...

I believe you can replace just the spring but the clutch has to come off regardless. Easiest way I've found to remove the clutch is to pull the spark plug and put a piece of rope inside the cylinder to act as a piston stop. Then take a chisel and hammer and pop the clutch (left hand threads) until it breaks loose. Don't put the chisel on the spring keepers towards the outer part of the clutch because they will break off. Get the chisel close to the nut part in the center. There are videos on youtube. Also I put a 261 clutch on my 262 and they can be had on ebay for less than 15 dollars.

Back