Anyone have a 455 Rancher with 16" Bar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TommyGun

TommyGun

ArboristSite Lurker
Thinking about fixing up the 455 rancher with a 16" bar for a limbing saw now that I have a 372xp. Anyone here have a 16 inch bar on their 455? I am curious how well it balances considering it is somewhat of a hefty saw. My 372xp wears a 20 inch bar so I have no real need to have 2 saws with the same size bar, thus the reason for putting something smaller on my 455. I think a smaller bar would give the saw quite a bit more power as well.

valekbrothers

valekbrothers

ArboristSite Guru
If it were me, I would be looking at about a 28"-32" bar for the 372. If the 455 handles the 20" fine I would leave it alone, or look at dropping down to an 18" for it.

If you can handle the 455 the way it is, the weight difference between the bars I don't think will be noticeable, you will just be bending over more.....

TommyGun

TommyGun

ArboristSite Lurker
I don't have a need for a bar that long. The bulk of my cutting is firewood (hardwoods) and I try to keep to the smaller more manageable sizes. The 20 inch bar balances out real nicely on the 372xp and is big enough for my needs. Biggest I would ever go for that saw would be a 24 inch bar. What I really need is something a little smaller and lighter for limbing work. I was thinking a 16 inch bar on the 455 rancher might do the trick, but I'm not sure if it will make it unbalanced. In a perfect world I would have a 346xp to replace the rancher, but the rancher is paid for soooo..........

gmcman

gmcman

ArboristSite Operative
Tommy...you just need another saw my brother :cheers: .

I have a 16" on my 340 and it's a great limbing saw, excellent balance and it's a good light setup. I know you said you want to stick with the two....but i'm learning fast there just isn't "two" saws.

outdoortype

outdoortype

ArboristSite Guru
Go for it!

I have a 16" bar I put on my 359 from time to time and it's a lot of fun. It looks kinda funny at first. It cuts much faster, has less teeth to sharpen, and is more manuevarable in fallen trees. I will warn you though. Even though it says 16", the bar only sticks out about 14-1/4" past the bucking spike. Hope this helps.

valekbrothers

valekbrothers

ArboristSite Guru
What chain are you running on your 455, 3/8" or .325?

If you have .325, I have a spare 16" bar and chain I would make you a good deal on. The bar is good, and I think the chain is about 1/2 to 3/4 life left.

Let me know

nate cutter

nate cutter

ArboristSite Operative
I have used the 455 with 16 and 20 inch bars (3/8) and have a 372bb. The 455 only wore the 16 inch bar then was sold because the weight and power difference was so noticeable. The bars are not interchangeable but the chains are got a good deal on 16 inch bars for the 372 and it is screamer with the 8 pin sprocket.

valekbrothers

valekbrothers

ArboristSite Guru
I have used the 455 with 16 and 20 inch bars (3/8) and have a 372bb. The 455 only wore the 16 inch bar then was sold because the weight and power difference was so noticeable. The bars are not interchangeable but the chains are got a good deal on 16 inch bars for the 372 and it is screamer with the 8 pin sprocket.

That must be almost as much fun as a 20" bar on my 3120...........
Sure makes short work of noodling big rounds.

attachment.php

TommyGun

TommyGun

ArboristSite Lurker
So....did the 16" bar tend to make the saw unbalanced? Im thinking of getting a solid bar with the removable tip hoping that it will balance out nicely and also give the saw a little more power than with this 20 inch bar it came with.

mowoodchopper

mowoodchopper

Polar Bear
How about trying a switch to 325? I ran a 18 3/8 on mine and it was ok but not great. If you would go 18 325 full chisel , I bet you would have power to spare! It will be kind of a heavy limbing saw but one thing about it , it should be a tough one, the 455 is a pretty tough saw for a non pro model!

TommyGun

TommyGun

ArboristSite Lurker
Husky455rancher..... Hmmmmm.... you say you have a problem? I don't think your CAD has progressed to an advanced stage just yet... I don't see a Husky 3120 in your lineup. :)

Now I on the other hand was just recently diagnosed with the CAD soooo...... I have a little time to catch up to you. You know... now that I think of it, it would make sense to just purchase a 346xp instead of a 16 inch bar for the rancher. Yeah, I think that will do quite nicely sitting next to the 372. Of course I will have to keep the 455 just because.. maybe for a loaner saw. You know what I don't think I have this CAD thing...... :cheers: