Anyone have any black locust seeds they'd be willing to part with?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice haul...wanna send it my way? :msp_thumbup:. I would not be putting these trees anywhere near my house or septic tank. They would be on the other side of the property seperated by the powerline tracks. I was basically looking for something that grows fast, and sprouts back up from the root when dropped. The second reason mainly because I don't want to deal with burning stumps or having to uproot them.

Mulberry then.

Around here BL is native so propagating it is not a problem. I have a fair amount in some areas. There was a small pine woods when I moved in here that has now been destroyed by vines and storms. I'll be clearing that off and intend on planting BL there, as well as some hedge if I can figure out how.

EDIT: I don't get a lot of seed off mine - the honey locusts at work produce a fair number of them though. The BL propagate from runners mostly.

Last edited:
im not sure but pm ur address and i collect them put em in an envelope and send them

Around here BL is native so propagating it is not a problem. I have a fair amount in some areas. There was a small pine woods when I moved in here that has now been destroyed by vines and storms. I'll be clearing that off and intend on planting BL there, as well as some hedge if I can figure out how.

EDIT: I don't get a lot of seed off mine - the honey locusts at work produce a fair number of them though. The BL propagate from runners mostly.

As far as the hedge goes, if you can come up with some hedge balls, put them in a bucket when they soften up(ripen) add water, mash and stir, and pour into holes or a trench then cover with soil. Once they start making their own hedge balls the squirrels will spread them for you.

Last edited:
No trouble for me to avoid locust thorns but

As I was sitting here tonight eating my supper I couldn't figure out why my knuckle on my left pinky was sooooo red and sore to move. Then it dawned on me. I trimmed my black locust trees today and one of the branches fell and a thorn pricked me!

What you described is common for me with greenbriar thorns. They are so small I don't notice when I get stuck, and they break off below skin surface.

Back