Anyone have anyexperience with using a Logosol to build a cabin?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well,I wasn't able to get a building code.Per the code,I would have to build and frame 2x4 walls inside my log walls then insulate and sheet over that,
This would defeat the purpose of a log building.Also,per code I would have to build 2x10 rafters over the top of my log purlins and insulate and sheet over that.
I took a chance and built it anyway.I don't have a permanent foundation,nor do I have electricity or plumbing,so I consider it to be mobile(I could roll a low-boy under it and move to where-ever).I'm sure they can't make me tear it down,however I might face a stiff fine if and when I get caught.It's too bad our building codes have lost all common sense,A man can't build with rough material because of R-factor..That don't make sense.When it's below zero out,I have a small woodfire in the cookstove going and it's easy to keep it at 75-80 degrees inside!

So, in conclusion,BUILD AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Terrific attitude! I can't stand the govt trying to save ourselves from ourselves. One day I will buy some land in the North Maine Woods and do the same thing. Your cabin is an inspiration. Great work!

Yooper Thanks for the info and I agree !!! If you own a peice of land and you want to build something by golly its yours to do as you please in my book !! Again great job !! Woodrover yeah I get on landwatch.com all the time and look in Maine too it looks like Gods country as well. Have you ever been in Maine at all ?

Thanks for the positive responses! I felt the same way you guys do,The landowner should be able to do as he pleases.
Also,I haven't put in any beds,that way it doesn't look like it's being lived in.Next deer season I'll be staying there for a few days and I'll
just sleep on a cot or roll-a-way bed.

Very Nice that will be perfect ! You ever check out #### Proenneke "alone in the wilderness" that is the kind of attitude he had he is a real inspiration if you've never heard of him you have to check him out on youtube awesome story !!

totally did not think about the first name getting censored. I am betting you can figure it out rhymes with Rick but starts with a D or short for Richard.:smile2:

Woodrover yeah I get on landwatch.com all the time and look in Maine too it looks like Gods country as well. Have you ever been in Maine at all ?

-Thread hijack mode on-

I try to get up there a few times a year. It's probably my favorite place. There are 3 million acres of land in the northwest corner of the state known as the "North Maine Woods". It's private land that is open to the public for recreational use. Tons of hunting and fishing, camping and off-roading opportunities, and you hardly bump into anyone. Just thousands of miles of logging roads. Myself and three buddies went up there last year for four days in late April and didn't see one other person. We also discharged a couple thousand rounds of ammunition with nobody around to complain. I'm sure there wasn't another soul within forty miles of us. It gets a little busier in the summer and you might see a person here or there, but not a lot. It's really a place to go and get away from everything, especially if you like to be away from other people. It's not like a campground where you have neighbors on all sides of you. If you spend all day driving the roads up there you might see two or three other trucks.

The same three buddies are heading up there the first week of May this year. I think we're camping at Cliff Lake if anyone wants to stop by for a beer!

Here's a picture from a trip I took with another Land Rover a few years ago. This give you an idea of what the place looks like.

-Thread hijack mode off-

nmw14.jpg

229082d1331840868-100_0082-jpg
Yeah,I've seen the youtube video's of "alone in the wilderness". Did you know his cabin is still standing and in good condition? Just shows you that log buildings are just as good as anything built from stamped lumber. But the building inspectors don't agree with that.Heck,The building inspector told me I couldn't use 5" cedar logs as floor joist.He said that a 5" cedar log wasn't strong enough for a 8 foot span.So....I used the logs anyway and put them on 1 foot centers!

Last edited:
It is amazing how ignorant some bureaucracies can be. There are log structures in the Nordic countries that are hundreds of years old and still viable. Add a modern fondation to that and then think about it :msp_razz:

]Yeah,I've seen the youtube video's of "alone in the wilderness". Did you know his cabin is still standing and in good condition? Just shows you that log buildings are just as good as anything built from stamped lumber. But the building inspectors don't agree with that.Heck,The building inspector told me I couldn't use 5" cedar logs as floor joist.He said that a 5" cedar log wasn't strong enough for a 8 foot span.So....I used the logs anyway and put them on 1 foot centers!

Yes that cabin is still there, did you know that in that country not much rots with any maintance at all. (his cabin still gets maintance) You can put spruce right on gravel that drains well, and it just doesn't rot. Try that where you live. lol

BTW, i hunted in that area for many years, and BTW, Alone In The Wilderness is on PBS RIGHT NOW! lol

Rob

I used spruce for the support beams,they're 18 inches off the ground then the log floor joists rest on top of those.There's plenty of air circulation!

Yep I think building codes at least some just do not give people enough credit and can also stifle creativity something missing when you look around the subdivisions . Never cared for cookie cutter homes thats why I like all the pics on here ! I would think those cedars placed like that are pretty darn solid !

Back