Brand New Stihl 076AV: Value?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conquistador3

Le Comte de Frou Frou
Reaction score
I've recently discovered a Stihl dealership a little outside my immediate area has a brand new 076AV. It has never been fueled or turned over and is presently used as part of their window display. It's presently fitted with a brand new 28" Rollomatic bar, possibly the one it came with from the factory. I saw the saw from outside, but at the moment the shop was closed: it's really brand spanking new.

I admit a 076 may be a bit excessive for 90% of what I cut, but I may use something more performing for the remaining 10%, so I am thinking about dropping by and making an offer for that saw in the future. Problem is I have no idea how much to offer for it: I have never dealt in saws so big so for me it's a bit of a mystery. Moreover with the MS462C just around the corner I hope 440/441C/460/461 values will drop a bit and those saws are probably enough for everything I could conceivably do.
How much should I offer for it tops? Should I be wary of any serial numbers (see the 056 with SEM ignitions)? Opinions.

Thanks.

So you would intend to use it? If i was that shop i wouldnt come off that thing for any less than $1500 probly. Ive seen nib 346s go for darn near half that and theyre pretty new, not sure when the 076 was discontinued but ill bet its been well over 30 years. It would be a cool collector piece but far better bang for your buck (if u intend to use it) to just buy a modern saw, used or new.

You have to understand one thing: "collectors" here exist only in the mind of the seller who thinks he is holding onto something rare and obviously very valuable. See all the beatup Husqvarna's and Stihl's from the early 80's with absolutely unreal price tags. You can check back in a year and they are still there and the seller hasn't budged an inch.
Before I ended up in hospital last year I found a Stihl dealership with two brand new, still in the box 046's. Asking price was fair and highly competitive with a used 046/460 in top shape, but decided against buying them because I became 100% convinced I wouldn't be able to sell one of the two, at least not at a large loss, following my continous failures to sell even an MS290.

I will probably make a phone call this week just to see how much they want for that 076AV, but I have the gut feeling it's either "Not for sale" or under a grand. I just want something to work with if they say "Make us an offer", like I had happen in the past.

You have to understand one thing: "collectors" here exist only in the mind of the seller who thinks he is holding onto something rare and obviously very valuable. See all the beatup Husqvarna's and Stihl's from the early 80's with absolutely unreal price tags. You can check back in a year and they are still there and the seller hasn't budged an inch.
Before I ended up in hospital last year I found a Stihl dealership with two brand new, still in the box 046's. Asking price was fair and highly competitive with a used 046/460 in top shape, but decided against buying them because I became 100% convinced I wouldn't be able to sell one of the two, at least not at a large loss, following my continous failures to sell even an MS290.

I will probably make a phone call this week just to see how much they want for that 076AV, but I have the gut feeling it's either "Not for sale" or under a grand. I just want something to work with if they say "Make us an offer", like I had happen in the past.
There's always the chance of it just being rebuilt also. After years of hanging in a window a saw will fade pretty badly.

I'm sure Europe is a different market.
Myself I would buy it for the shelf, there are plenty of runners for the woods.
As to value, anything is worth what someone is willing to pay and if two guys want something unique, it increases in value, perhaps greatly.
An actual NOS un-fuelled all original 076AV should fetch over a grand easily, new in the box with matching serial numbers would add at least $350, in my opinion.
I turned down $3500 for my 076 Super but then again it isnt stock :)
I do have a soft spot for those saws.
Dave

Opening this thread was a major mistake. I am sorry for that.
There's too much of a difference on how saws are considered by people here and in the world at large. Apparently we speak two completely different languages: I asked for a realistic valuation for a 30+ years old chainsaw with no chainbrake (hence not usable by loggers and other commercial operators) which was produced on large scale and it seems like we are dealing with Van Gogh's lost masterpieces.

There's a 076AV in good shape on the local classified. The seller wants €600 for it. The ad has been around for three months (I know the website and it needs to be manually reconfirmed every two weeks), meaning there are no takers even at that price. What does that say? Surely that on our market a 076AV is not worth the crazy valuations I've read here. A brand new MS880 can be had for about €1600. I am no "collector" but I would consider that the benchmark for a 100+cc Stihl chaisaw.

These "what's it worth threads are almost always useless. They always turn
bad for one reason or the other. In reality there is no other 076AV new in
the box for sale or sold recently to determine it's real value. To me if some
one wants a value on anything, Put it on ebay where everyone in the world
can see it if they wish. Interesting parties can bid accordingly and the high
bidder wins. That tells you what it is worth. The selling price. There are lot's
of chainsaw nuts out there that don't visit these forums. Some collectors with
thousands of saws that might like the 076AV but will never know about it cuz
he or she isn't on this site.

Lee

Latest posts

Back