Anyone here run an underwater chainsaw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyRumore

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I saw a hydraulic underwater chainsaw show up on Craigslist and wondered if anyone here as ever used one, underwater. If you are felling an upright tree that is submerged, are there differences in felling tequnique versus an above water cut? Anything else one should know before giving it a try?

Tony

Sure!.....nothing to it!....... Gypo Logger use to teach a class on underwater felling. Don't know if he still teaches anymore or not, since he's moved to the Yukon!

I had a friend back in Richmond that did, he was a diver who was periodically hired to clear the ship channel in the James River below the port. He also used explosives if warranted. Over the years he accumulated a nice collection of cannonballs that he found in the course of working.

The only advice I can offer is to not use an electric saw underwater.

Never done it, but have spent quite a bit of time in the water.

Just remember it takes alot longer to move in the water than it does on land, hence if the tree starts falling towards you it's much harder to get out of the way.

The water currents are probably more important than lean.
I See a thread awhile back where they discovered an entire forest in the Gulf Of Mexico....One of the hurricanes uncovered...Pretty amazing the trees were preserved under the mud for god knows how long.

Back