Anyone Interested???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

czeigler

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have about 60 Douglas Fir and Spruce logs that need sawed. Have a couple Red Elm too. Majority is Douglas Fir. Also have access to another 40-50 Douglas Fir Logs.

Looking for someone that is possible interested in sawing for a share of the lumber. I would be happy to just get it sawed with the sawyer getting a bigger percentage of lumber.

Anyone interested please let me know. I can send some pictures if you need some.

I am located in Shermans Dale, PA 17090

email: [email protected]

Thanks,
Chris

That's almost worth the drive for me, and you can keep the wood. :)

I would love to cut something besides a tree w/ a 6 ft. trunk, then the next 20 feet is nothing but gnarly bunch of brush. I cut a lot of cookies just to have something to get the saw warmed up on, lol. Otherwise, it's 3 cuts and I'm done and ready to split.

I would love to cut something besides a tree w/ a 6 ft. trunk, then the next 20 feet is nothing but gnarly bunch of brush. I cut a lot of cookies just to have something to get the saw warmed up on, lol. Otherwise, it's 3 cuts and I'm done and ready to split.

All of the logs average 24-30 inches in diameter and 8-10 feet in length.

Pretty nice saw logs.

That sounds like a lot of nice logs, but almost too much to do with a chainsaw mill. It sounds like you need someone with a portable bandsaw mill to come in.

Didn't you have an Alaskan mill?

That sounds like a lot of nice logs, but almost too much to do with a chainsaw mill. It sounds like you need someone with a portable bandsaw mill to come in.

Didn't you have an Alaskan mill?

No, I was thinking about it, but I would have to buy a bigger saw... I'm sure the wife would love that!:dizzy:

what kind of lumber are you looking to get from those losgs? 1xs 2xs or beams?

I have the big saws and Alaskan Mill, and just live over the mountain.

what kind of lumber are you looking to get from those losgs? 1xs 2xs or beams?

I have the big saws and Alaskan Mill, and just live over the mountain.

I was just looking mainly for 2x lumber. I could even rip it later with a table saw if someone didn't want to get too much time in it.

I was just looking mainly for 2x lumber. I could even rip it later with a table saw if someone didn't want to get too much time in it.

2xs go a whole lot faster than 1xs, and beams quicker yet. Where are the logs from Shermansdale? I'm in Cumberland Co.

2xs go a whole lot faster than 1xs, and beams quicker yet. Where are the logs from Shermansdale? I'm in Cumberland Co.

I live on Bower Rd, but the logs are at a friends house at intersection of Fox Hollow and Pisgah. It actually has a Landisburg address but only about 1 mile from me.

I saw what I think is the stack of logs, and most appear suitable for milling. Some are BIG. I don't see any rot or bug damage as of yet. The logs closer to the road are the elm? The one is about 6' long and might make countertops, or table tops. The BIG one? Wow! I'll bet the crotch would yield some beautiful wood provided I could figure out how to mill it.

I saw what I think is the stack of logs, and most appear suitable for milling. Some are BIG. I don't see any rot or bug damage as of yet. The logs closer to the road are the elm? The one is about 6' long and might make countertops, or table tops. The BIG one? Wow! I'll bet the crotch would yield some beautiful wood provided I could figure out how to mill it.

Yeah, that thing is pretty big, huh? I sent you a PM with the updated link for the pictures of Red Elm boards.

I made my way "over the mountain" yesterday and did a little milling. I took some photos before I got started, and during a break later. The logs might be larger than they appear.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

066BB 36" Alaskan with 36" bar

attachment.php

Douglas Fir?

Stihl RM was my preferred chain of the day. It cut faster, smoother, and cleared CHIPS. Stihl RSF(full skip) left a MUCH rougher finish, made small chips, and left lots of those chips behind. This chain was grabby and the saw used noticeably more fuel. Even more interesting is that the RSF had only been lightly touched up, and the RM resharpened only freehand with a 7/32" file.

Take a bandsaw in there and get it done, probably in one long day or a little more.
Very knotty...sticker it really well!

Back