Anyone know specs on Wild Thing air filter nuts/washers?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klaus von herten

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have a late 1990s Wild Thing (2175) that is a bit leaky but otherwise runs like a champ. It’s been 5 years from the last carb rebuild and it hasn’t had much use, maybe a cord of wood in that time.

I think I used only canned premixed fuel and emptied it but the fuel line finally disintegrated.

Changed all the fuel lines but I noticed when taking it apart that it had no nuts holding down the air filter (or I lost them at some point). Hopefully the carburetor doesn’t need any attention right now.

Anyhow, does anyone know the thread and diameter for replacement nuts and if a washer is used?

Below is the threaded shaft that the nuts fasten onto.

Thank you AS sages in advance!

4e15cf2d43f0967b5269f7796ddf86ac.jpg

Look in the bottom of the air box, that's where they usually end up. I have recently found 2 Poulan Pros with missing nuts and nuts that were ready to fall off, also check the flywheel, I found one in its' housing and you DO NOT want a nut to attach itself to the FW. These nuts are very important as they hold the carb on and without them you get serious air leaks from a loose carb.

Thanks Ray! M5 .80 worked.

Checked the housing for loose nuts but none found.

Started, it ran for 20 seconds, chain was stuck, I thought it a chain brake and then fuel came out the bottom. Don’t see any holes but they are probably there at the injection molding seam.

Anyhow, I tried and now it’s time to trash this thing.

Thanks Ray! M5 .80 worked.

Checked the housing for loose nuts but none found.

Started, it ran for 20 seconds, chain was stuck, I thought it a chain brake and then fuel came out the bottom. Don’t see any holes but they are probably there at the injection molding seam.

Anyhow, I tried and now it’s time to trash this thing.
An old trick of mine. Put a nut (the right size) in a vise. Flat sides touching the vise jaws. Tighten the vise pretty snug. Now use a mallet and knock crap out of the vice jaws. The goal is to egg shape ( just a little bit) the nut. Now, It should fit gud n tight. Yep, that kind of fit. No mo loose nuts. Don't get girly about correct torque. Don't overdo it but snug em down real snug and ur done. Those ole saws cut pretty good and after bucking a tree you won't feel your hands for a while. One day I looked down at my hands and some Mosquitoes were partying down. I realized Id removed my gloves for em woods hores. Im like What ta el. P ed me off but 20 minutes later my hands and arms was a itching like crazy. 😁😆😆

Back