Anyone use a 404 sprocket on a Stihl 460?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flashhole

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
If yes, how many teeth in the sprocket and what length bar do you use and how many drive links in the chain? Any advantage over the 3/8 equivalent?

I do not, however I do switch between a 36" 3/8 bar and a 32" 404 bar on my MS660. Now that I can't buy Oregon CJX chain I like 404 for its wide kerf on redwood, esp bucking. I run a 32" b and c on the MS460 that has recently been running a 28" ES Light bar but in 3/8". I feel the 404 chain requires the hp and torque of a bigger saw than the 460, but that is really just a guess since I have never even tried 404 on the 460.

I have a 32" bar 3/8 sprocket that I use every so often with the 460. Most of the time I use a 20" bar. The 32" bar is used on bigger wood and close to the ground cut stumps where the base of the tree widens quite a bit. Is the 404 bar thicker than the 3/8 bar? Even .010" would make a big difference in bar rigidity. That's my complaint on the 32" bar. Does great when the wood is horizontal and off the ground but flexes a bit when cutting stumps low to the ground. Just wondering if the 404 bar would be better in that application.

It takes a little more grunt to pull 404. High torque saws like the 056/051/076 can do it no problem.

High revving saws like the 440/441/460 just can't pull it like that. They can do a good job with .404 with shorter bars though. If I had a stock 460, and wanted to run .404, I'drun it with a 20-24" bar.

The only benefit I can see is that .404 will stay sharper longer. The .404 rims are bigger so a 7 pin .404 rim is like running an 8 pin 3/8th rim.

For me the cool thing about .404 is that the tooth is longer, so it can be sharpened more times. That and there are less of them to keep sharp;)

If you want a wider kerf pick up some Oregon CLX, CKX, or CJX chain. It's a .404 sized cutter on a 3/8" chassis.

All of those have been discontinued for quite awhile.

I forgot about that. I had some last year and never ordered any more. It worked good on the 32" bar and 36" I used with the 660 and 395. I thought baileys or some one had it on clearance just a month or two ago???

img8444large.jpg

404 would be fine with 28" or shorter bars.. I like it better lasts longer. Seems like I go through chain half as fast.. More expensive now tho.

standard logger issue saw around home is 460 with a 20" 404 and 660 with a 25". I think a 20" is 67DL and 25" is a 77DL if my memory is serving me well

I bought a bunch of bars and chains from a guy at work (he got them at an auction) I got 18 bars and 30+ chains with some misc. saw stuff. the bars were mostly 20'' and 24'' small Stihl mount but there were a few 20'' large stihl mount. In with the chains i found a few boxes labeled "084 20'' .404 semichisel landing saw". I bet that saw stayed sharp for a long time. really makes a lot of sense to me. Here in the North east we skid logs and when they hit the landing they are very muddy.

Stihlguy is right here too. I think one of the members who lives in Candor had a get together over the summer. Couldn't make that but am curious how many guys showed up. Seems there are several of us in this area.

I'm still debating getting a 404 bar and sprocket for the 460. May just pick up a grunt saw like Anthony mentioned. I have a few things to sell to get the money together so it won't happen overnight.

Yeah that GTG was my buddies in Spencer. there are few local members on here. I run 3/8 on my 660 and under. .404 in my opinion is in the 100+ CC saw range. I run .404 on my 090 in 24'',36'' and 50'' bars.

How many folks showed up and what was it all about? By chance was there beer drinking?

3 members from Arboristsite and about 8-10 locals. all types from loggers, firewood cutters, and a few guys that just wanted to see the pipe saws run.

We had 12'' Aspen logs on a stand for racing/cookie cutting. we had 12 or so hardwood tops we cut into firewood. we had a few 40'' rock hard maple logs to run the bigger saws in. after we finished up running saws we had a small cookout. we were chased off by a nasty rainstorm so we didnt hang out and have any frosties afterwards. it was a great time. i think we are planning on having another probably in the spring/summer. we had 25 or so saws

I prefer 3/8 (square) over .404 on all my saws including my 880 and 3120. Even with bars up to 60 inches.

I supposed if you were regularly to hit nails the .404 would be tougher, but for me the 3/8 simply cuts faster.

Back