Anyone Use the Good Ole Splitting Maul anymore

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ben using gas log splitter and an 8 pound maul, got a fiskars a couple of weeks ago and have been using it since. Even though I have a gas splitter I still use the maul a lot except for the hedge and the really gnarly rounds of the other stuff. Black locust splits easy enough with the maul that I don't need to fire up the gas splitter. Besides it's nice not having to listen to the motor all day.

Got me a Fiskars x27 yesterday and been playing with that. I too have a 12 lb monster maul like the one pictured before (that thing is heavy and wears me out quickly).

Also have a Fiskars 28" pro splitting axe 7859. It is very easy to swing, but can't handle the big stuff quite the way the x27 can.

I have a couple gnarly, knotty pieces that I can't split any further. Those (and some pallet wood) will probably be donated to my neighbor for his outdoor bonfires.

Got me a Fiskars x27 yesterday and been playing with that. I too have a 12 lb monster maul like the one pictured before (that thing is heavy and wears me out quickly).

Also have a Fiskars 28" pro splitting axe 7859. It is very easy to swing, but can't handle the big stuff quite the way the x27 can.

I have a couple gnarly, knotty pieces that I can't split any further. Those (and some pallet wood) will probably be donated to my neighbor for his outdoor bonfires.

You could always cheat and send your chainsaw through the knotty pieces :D

Yes..most of my splitting is done by maul. Even though I have a typical 22ton splitter. Its my excise. I use a cheap fiberglass handled one I got from TSC and then ground the edge for a while on a bench grinder.

Just wondered if anyone else on this forum uses a manual splitting maul anymore. I could see that it would be impractical for someone who sells firewood for a business, but for the homeowner who gets his own firewood for the winter it is a real good stress reliever. I myself split all my wood by hand (when theres a real tough, knotty piece I cheat and use my chainsaw).

same here buddy. I love it.

You could always cheat and send your chainsaw through the knotty pieces :D

For sure. I'm sure that'll happen, too. Just sorta thinking I'd be a good neighbor and trade him some knotty wood for some cold beer. :msp_biggrin:

Latest posts

Back