anyone used the Stihl 230 0r 250

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i've yet to use a 230, sold a few but have only used the 250 with an 18" and it does fine for limbing.

250 vs. 230

I've been very satisfied with the MS250 and I'm glad that I made the purchase. I've not used the MS230, furthermore, I'm not exactly sure what niche this saw fills in the Stihl line-up. Between the two choices I would definitely go with the 250. I think that you'll be well satisfied with this saw. Good luck with your choice.

The 025/250 is better than it looks on paper. They feel really good in the hands and have impressive power that is down right torquey. If someone is having problems with vibration on that saw they need to look at the chain and how it is filed. Use stihl RS set to their specs and it will be smooth as silk and attach the wood like an angry beaver. I will say that husky is ahead in air filtration but I like the feel of the stihl better. Go give one a try.

I have a 021 which is the older version of the MS210. I've read on this site that the MS210, MS230 and MS250 are built on the same frame or crankcase. My 021 has been a GREAT little saw. I never had any vibration issues or any other issues with it. I just keep the chain sharp and change air filters accordingly. A friend of mine has a 025 and it's been just like my 021! :)

My dad has a MS250 with the fancy add ons (easy pull and quick chain thingy, I don't know what they are called but they suck!)
Aside from that the saw is great!
I was using my sears/pullon 2000 for 3 years, then Dad bought the 250.
I borrowed it from time to time untill I finally got my MS310.
I still like the power to weight ratio of the 250.
I am working on getting it from him now that he has sold his house.
Either that or maybe get a used one for a good deal.
Does anyone like the new add on features?
The easy start thing is rediculous imo.
And the chain tensioner seems like more parts to break.

Just my 2 cents.

vibrations?

I'm mostly a husky guy but a love my 025. It's light and handy but It has decent power. I don't think it vibrates at all.

I have a 021 which is the older version of the MS210. I've read on this site that the MS210, MS230 and MS250 are built on the same frame or crankcase. My 021 has been a GREAT little saw. I never had any vibration issues or any other issues with it. I just keep the chain sharp and change air filters accordingly. A friend of mine has a 025 and it's been just like my 021! :)

they are all built on the same chassis, but the 21/210 run that low profile 3/8 picco chain and the 230/025/250 run .325. in most areas (seen a few picco 250's) I can't speak for the 023's though cause i have seen both .050 and .043 picco , and .325 .063 also on them.

they are all built on the same chassis, but the 21/210 run that low profile 3/8 picco chain and the 230/025/250 run .325. in most areas (seen a few picco 250's) I can't speak for the 023's though cause i have seen both .050 and .043 picco , and .325 .063 also on them.
Cam501, thanks. When I bought my 021 it came with a 16" bar and a PM1 chain. Last year I switched to a 14" bar and a PM chain. I like this set up a lot better. The saw cuts a lot better now.

I've thought about buying a MS250. I figured last fall when I was cutting firewood with my 021 and 029 that I'd buy a new saw for next year (2007). At the time I wanted a saw that was in between the two saws I have now, both weight and power wise. When I bought my 029 back in 2000 the Stihl catalog had the dry powerhead weight at 13.5 lbs. and my 021 at 9.7 lbs. The average weight of my two saws is 11.6 lbs. The average horsepower of my two saws is 2.9 (3.8 and 2.0 respectfully). Weight wise that puts me at a MS280. Horsepower wise that puts me at a MS250. If I do go with a Stihl, which I probably will, I have to figure out if I want to spend $300 for the MS250 or $410 for the MS280.

I usually cut 4 to 5 face cords of firewood a year. I might have an oppertunity to cut about 15 face cords this coming year. I won't find out about this until the end of March or early April. I was thinking about a MS361 or 357XP. I really don't want to spend $600 plus for a chain saw though. If I do cut the 15 f/c this year I probably won't cut firewood again for two or three years. I also have a lot of hunting gear to buy this year as well, just got in on a hunting camp and bought THIS, it's only the beginning! :rock:

I haven't totally written off the Husky 353. There is just SO MUCH more Stihl support in my area. That makes it hard not to go with a Stihl.

Sorry for the rant! :cheers:

Last edited:
Start by getting rid of the RM2 chain!!!

Dunno about over there but we haven't gotten anything with RM2 in a while, just RMC3 with our stock units. I think the RMC3 is much closer to the RS/RSC than the RM2 was.

Vibrations?

In all honesty, I can't say that I've noticed any discernable vibrations in this saw. I keep my chains sharp and the saw runs very smoothly. For those of you who actually own the saw and complain of vibrations, I'm curious...please elaborate, because my experience is totally too the contrary. Thanks!

NYH1: I suggest you buy that 353! It's a great saw.
I don't really understand why people look at the 250 for example when you can get a 50cc Husky like the 353, or if it's to much money, a 345, 350 .

In the 50cc class, Husky is by far better than Stihl. The 260 which should be Stihls best saw in that class, is a by far beaten by the 346 or 353.

If you want 60cc, then it's a different story. Most people would recommend you a 361. 70cc : 372,440 , 80cc : PS7900 , 90cc : 395 / 660 , and so on...

each class has some top saws where people can argue which one is no 1. But in the 50cc class, it's not Stihl. Then I understand that dealer support etc is important and so on. But still, can't for my life understand why you should by a 250 or 260 although I've tried hard. My only recommendation is that you should try some other saws before deciding on a MS250. Most new saws feel really great in the hands and when you try them against your old ones. But it's not until you try them against the other new ones that you really see the difference.

NYH1: I suggest you buy that 353! It's a great saw.
I don't really understand why people look at the 250 for example when you can get a 50cc Husky like the 353, or if it's to much money, a 345, 350 .

In the 50cc class, Husky is by far better than Stihl. The 260 which should be Stihls best saw in that class, is a by far beaten by the 346 or 353.

If you want 60cc, then it's a different story. Most people would recommend you a 361. 70cc : 372,440 , 80cc : PS7900 , 90cc : 395 / 660 , and so on...

each class has some top saws where people can argue which one is no 1. But in the 50cc class, it's not Stihl. Then I understand that dealer support etc is important and so on. But still, can't for my life understand why you should by a 250 or 260 although I've tried hard. My only recommendation is that you should try some other saws before deciding on a MS250. Most new saws feel really great in the hands and when you try them against your old ones. But it's not until you try them against the other new ones that you really see the difference.

The 345 is the direct comparison for the MS250. I've asked on one thread if anyone around my neck of the woods has one for comparison, but have not had any luck.

In all honesty, I can't say that I've noticed any discernable vibrations in this saw. I keep my chains sharp and the saw runs very smoothly. For those of you who actually own the saw and complain of vibrations, I'm curious...please elaborate, because my experience is totally too the contrary. Thanks!

I believe it is pretty personal how much vibes you tolerate.

For me, I have arthritis in the hands, worst in the right one, so I am probably a bit more vibe sensitive than many other people............:(

Last edited:
I bought a 250 for a limbing saw

When I bought my 361 last week, I also bought a 250 and I love it. I got it with a 16" bar and have been using it for cutting up smaller stuff for the wood stove I am putting in.

I'll put a lot more time on the 361, which is why I couldn't justify the additional expense of going with a pro saw in the 260 (although I tried hard to). I looked at the 230, since it's the smallest saw that gets you into a .325 chain. But, the 250 was the same weight as the 230, gave me .5 HP more, and it was only $20 higher than the 230.

I am not disappointed in the 250 at all -- in fact it has exceeded my expectations. The fit and finish is not that of a pro saw, but you do get a lot of saw for the money. It cuts fast and doesn't guzzle fuel and I haven't noticed an any excessive vibration, but I've only been cutting green wood with it so far.

God bless,
Chris

Back