Anyone used willow

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matildasmate

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Guday all , anyone used Willow for anything besides cricket bats , I have a few willow logs to mill . Cheers MM

If dried well with out cracking and spiitting it makes a unique tongue and groove or Bord and batten paneling. never have done it my self but have seen a room done in Bord and batten. but the batten was done in cherry.
Sounds interesting

Carvers like it, if milled into blocks...

Rob
Not surprised seem's to be a soft type of wood , I am surprised they use it for cricket bats , thanks guys , it might be worth milling then . Cheers MM

Might not be the same type of willow but I cut a couple large slabs out of a weeping willow branch (took most of my 36" bar) on our property hard to mill fuzzy grained but once it cleaned up it looks real purdy I left the live edge on it not sure what I want to do with it and after drying a yr. I was surprised how light/strong it was started out heavy. I could see carvers liking it as its soft I can envision some nice light bar or countertops out of it. I know its not a traditional wookworking wood but I like the grain color its different and interesting to me!! I'd mill it up and see what you can use it for later.. Either way have fun good to see you still posting on here take it easy.. Irishcountry

High end premium knot free strait grained willow is used by luthiers as glue blocks in violins, violas etc. Apparently it can be separated from the instrument wood easily when repairing instruments. A luthier in Mass bought some willow from me for building violins.

Might not be the same type of willow but I cut a couple large slabs out of a weeping willow branch (took most of my 36" bar) on our property hard to mill fuzzy grained but once it cleaned up it looks real purdy I left the live edge on it not sure what I want to do with it and after drying a yr. I was surprised how light/strong it was started out heavy. I could see carvers liking it as its soft I can envision some nice light bar or countertops out of it. I know its not a traditional wookworking wood but I like the grain color its different and interesting to me!! I'd mill it up and see what you can use it for later.. Either way have fun good to see you still posting on here take it easy.. Irishcountry
Sounds like the same stuff , I will have to put it in the shed for a while then , I was gonna turn it into firewood , good to here from ya Irish.

High end premium knot free strait grained willow is used by luthiers as glue blocks in violins, violas etc. Apparently it can be separated from the instrument wood easily when repairing instruments. A luthier in Mass bought some willow from me for building violins.
I have had the logs out in the weather for quite a while now , the logs actually grew small branchs while they were laying on the ground , I thought they were going to take root for a while. Cheers MM

I like it

I milled some a few years back and made some offering boxes for my church. They turned out real nice and I thought the wood was a close copy of Olive wood. I have tried to post a picture of it--hope it worked.
Also, tomorrow I will get about six willow logs approaching 24" diameter and
8' lengths, so I will have lots of willow to work with.
Bill

Wow sweet job on the box that must have took some finish work as I know the stuff I have tends to get fuzzy but man nice job!!

I finished it with poly/oil (4 coats) then wax/oil (2 coats)--Sam Mollif brand
Bill
Thats flash stuff Bill , very impressive mate , I am now looking forward to milling my logs later . Cheers MM

Last edited:
I milled some a few years back and made some offering boxes for my church. They turned out real nice and I thought the wood was a close copy of Olive wood. I have tried to post a picture of it--hope it worked.
Also, tomorrow I will get about six willow logs approaching 24" diameter and
8' lengths, so I will have lots of willow to work with.
Bill

Very pretty!

So why isn't willow more popular? It has some nice color and grain to it.

I built my first long bow out of willow when i was about 20 worked rather well as i lamenated16"th inch peices together. It ended up being around 45 lbs with a 30" draw. I did take a whitetailed deer with it.Some years later it broke when a friend was shooting it. Sorry no pics.

Beaveradict

Back