Anyone Using Drones to Set a Throw Line?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R'Lee

R'Lee

ArboristSite Lurker
The tank is a about 24" long 4" schedule 40 pvc pipe with a stainless tractor type air (intake) valve It's necked down to a 1 1/2" ball valve (my trigger) and then goes another 2' for the barrel. I have an fishing open reel strapped down with opposing hose clamps using the ends for my front sights. Left vs right is dead on but, high vs low is best guess. With 60 psi, she go 150-200 up. Whenever I used that much pressure, I have always regretted it. I use 1" capped pvc pipe with lead sinkers inside for the projectiles. The sinkers help bring it down thru the tree branches. Paint those blaze orange so I can find them! (*ha)

R'Lee

R'Lee

ArboristSite Lurker
eaf127edb2d335d4559cabf8c5a5c067.jpg

DLCRL

DLCRL

Organic Demolitionist Expert
That's a lot of screwing around for me, I'm there to climb, cut and rope as needed. I find once you're in the branches 2'ft and less in diameter climbing is easy.

DLCRL

DLCRL

Organic Demolitionist Expert
What's A.S.! I have to do some work to earn my 20% even it's hanging a rope or just notching a tree no one else is confident enough will miss the house or fall the direction they need it to.

GrizG

GrizG

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I've been using a slingshot to launch a large lead bullet (.45-70) attached to a fishing line on a kid size rod and reel to get lines into trees... I then use the fishing line to pull the rope up. The fishing pole and reel make for a reliable, tangle free, and compact kit. I am able to very accurately place the shots and it is a lot easier than throwing by hand!

I have a 1960s vintage Wham-O Sportsman slingshot that I used as a model to make 25 new slingshots... The 25 have mostly become raffle prizes at sportsmen's club events... The black one is the original one long ago painted tactical black. Mine are much more refined in terms of symmetry and finish. ;)

RetroSlingw.jpg

GrizG

GrizG

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I use a sling shot and a 1/2'' to 3/4'' nut. With a little practice it is amazing what you can accomplish. With the aid of a ladder or scaffolding I have reached more than 80'. Along with a rope saw it is possible to do a great amount of limbing before putting my old knees to the test.
I use my sling shot method for getting a rope saw into the tree too... I tried nuts initially but found that a .69 musket ball with a hole drilled through it worked great... less prone to snagging on anything and the greater weight helped with pulling the fishing line. I eventually lost the few musket balls I had while working on my process and switched to 405 gr .45-70 LRNFP bullets with a hole drilled through them. They work great too. I haven't lost one of those yet and I've got a lot of them so I'm good to go! And yes, you can very accurately place the shot between branches to get the rope just where you want it. I guess shooting all those cans and bottles as a kid paid off! LOL

sir1

ArboristSite Member
The tank is a about 24" long 4" schedule 40 pvc pipe with a stainless tractor type air (intake) valve It's necked down to a 1 1/2" ball valve (my trigger) and then goes another 2' for the barrel. I have an fishing open reel strapped down with opposing hose clamps using the ends for my front sights. Left vs right is dead on but, high vs low is best guess. With 60 psi, she go 150-200 up. Whenever I used that much pressure, I have always regretted it. I use 1" capped pvc pipe with lead sinkers inside for the projectiles. The sinkers help bring it down thru the tree branches. Paint those blaze orange so I can find them! (*ha)

Lead shot ever become an issue and damage anything?

Latest posts