Anyone want some Poplar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RaisedByWolves

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hah, my first post in the milling forum.

I had a poplar blow over in our last storm and was wondering is there would be any intrest in this for milling out slabs.

Im not sure if its Tulip or yellow or what but there is 40"+ still standing that is arrow straight and needs to come down.

If anyone in the Philly/Trenton area is interested its here for the taking.

RaisedByWolves said:
Hah, my first post in the milling forum.

I had a poplar blow over in our last storm and was wondering is there would be any intrest in this for milling out slabs.

Im not sure if its Tulip or yellow or what but there is 40"+ still standing that is arrow straight and needs to come down.

If anyone in the Philly/Trenton area is interested its here for the taking.
Hey there Raisedbywolves, I can always use poplar in my woodshop. I live right off the PA turnpike exit 339, and travel to Trenton NJ up Rt 1 every day for work. Is your offer still on the table? I would be glad to help you bring it down and help you clean up debris. Been out of town out west (colorado) for last couple weeks, and am still out west. I'm hooked up now to one of those wireless deals in a hotel room, but will be camping next few days, be home Sun eve. If you are still interested, would be glad to help you take care of your blowdown or anything else with my csm and Ripsaw mill. Will check AS Sun eve when I get home and maybe we can hook up.

Dave

woodshop said:
Hey there Raisedbywolves, I can always use poplar in my woodshop. I live right off the PA turnpike exit 339, and travel to Trenton NJ up Rt 1 every day for work. Is your offer still on the table? I would be glad to help you bring it down and help you clean up debris. Been out of town out west (colorado) for last couple weeks, and am still out west. I'm hooked up now to one of those wireless deals in a hotel room, but will be camping next few days, be home Sun eve. If you are still interested, would be glad to help you take care of your blowdown or anything else with my csm and Ripsaw mill. Will check AS Sun eve when I get home and maybe we can hook up.

Dave

Hey there Woodshop! Been wondering where you were. Glad to see you're having fun. Be safe. :cheers:

Poplar

Great wood for bookshelves, any sort of flat stuff, and easily makes wide boards.

It also makes great siding, easily milled into clapboard on a woodmizer type rig.

Not good with moisture, though, so stain/paint well. I dipped my siding (500 pieces of it!!) in a tank of oil stain to get some soaked in. Will last forever on the side of a house , if coated.

Takes some nice colors with stain and you may like it just varnished. I love working it.

aggiewoodbutchr said:
Hey there Woodshop! Been wondering where you were. Glad to see you're having fun. Be safe. :cheers:
thanks aggie, found this very weak wireless connection here in the campsite, have no idea where its coming from, but as long as I have it I'm gonna play on here a while.

woodshop said:
thanks aggie, found this very weak wireless connection here in the campsite, have no idea where its coming from, but as long as I have it I'm gonna play on here a while.

Cool! Wireless is the way to go!

Hope you've got a firewall running. You may be 'stealing' bandwidth from somene who simply doesn't know how to secure a wireless router (most folks who have them) and won't even know you're there, and you might be stealing bandwidth from some sophisticated hacker type who could have great fun messing with people who fall into his trap.

BlueRidgeMark said:
Hope you've got a firewall running. You may be 'stealing' bandwidth from somene who simply doesn't know how to secure a wireless router (most folks who have them) and won't even know you're there, and you might be stealing bandwidth from some sophisticated hacker type who could have great fun messing with people who fall into his trap.

Put me on that list.

I know this is true about WiFi but I'm on a broadband "air card" for internet access. I have a printer networked on a wireless router and built in WiFi in my laptop. Is it possible for someone hack into my computer through those?

Hey- I thought this thread was about someone giving away some poplar.:D

BlueRidgeMark said:
thanks for the concern Blueridge, but my laptop is indeed secure, I know there is tons of nasty out there waiting for hapless or not so computer literate folks. Actually, found out this morning the campground here provides wireless for its campers, as do most hotels now. Nice.

YES, this thread is about milling poplar... can't wait to get home and get back to my saws and woodshop. I would love to have that poplar if raisedbywolves hasn't already sliced it up.

we buy a lot of poplar for our barn restoration business.

1 x 12's. .60 a board foot from the local mill.

The Amish up north do a better job cheaper, .40, but it's a haul when you're loaded down like this:

attachment.php

woodshop said:
YES, this thread is about milling poplar... can't wait to get home and get back to my saws and woodshop. I would love to have that poplar if raisedbywolves hasn't already sliced it up.

Nope still standing.

I hadent replied thinking you werent going to be online.

Shoot me a PM when you get home or when ever. I forgot to mention that this puppy is 20-24"dbh but is slightly rotten near the base. Plenty strong still as it broke 40' up, just that the bottom portion may be somewhat stained.

Still more wood than you can shake a stick at though.:)

Back