Apple tree lost apples

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mm535

Reaction score
I have two apple trees which I purchased and planted four years ago. They both had blossoms in the springand they both had fruit. The smaller tree had about 6 apples and the larger tree had 2or 3 dozen apples. All the apples have fallen off the trees in the course of the spring and summer. Now it is autum with zero apples. Can you tell me why and how to help.

Are any other symptoms appearing? Did your tree recieve 'normal' amounts of water this summer? What size were the apples when they fell. when did they fall? Sorry to send a deluge of questions but the more info we have the better the chances of a correct diagnosis.:)

Hi , I take care of a large orchard and it is normal for apple trees to abort some of its fruit , especially if it hasnt been sprayed for apple scab or other fungal or insect problems. I still think though that you should have had some apples remaining. Have you been in a drought like we have and do you have deer that might have eaten the apples? You have 4 year old trees , were they straight whips when you planted them or were they branched out with a straight stem and several lateral branches? To get good apples , you need to use a fungicide and insecticide that is registered for fruit tree use . You can buy an apple spray and read the label for when to treat . and water the trees during drought . You may just have to be patient and the trees will produce. I planted 4 trees at my house 2 years ago and i got fruit off of 3 of them but the one just aborted all the fruit . What kind of apples did you plant? JPM

The trees I planted were a crispin and a red regent. They both had lateral branches. Yes we did have a drought and no I did not water them.The apples fell when they were about golf ball size. We do have deer in the area,however I found the fallen apples on the ground. The trees were sprayed the previous november. The reason I was more hopeful for fruit is that the first year the red regent produced three apples. I'm pretty sure it pollinated at the nursery since it had blossoms when we brought it home. That is the only fruit I got from it ever. I guess I should do more to educate myself about apple trees. Thanks for your responses.

Latest posts

Back