apple tree propagation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

painthorselover

Reaction score
We have 3 huge OLD good producing apple trees in our n Idaho yard. There is one partially broken branch that is still growing and producing. Can I somehow cut the new growth (2-4 ft) branches and replant them? I'm willing to experiment and I definitely want to save this scion (my new word of the day!) Also I have a similar problem with a cherry tree. It was a 8 inch dbh tree that was cut down, it now has growth out of the stump. Can I cut these and grow them elsewhere? Thank you for your answers! I have learned alot from this website in only a few minutes!

Scince even old apples are cultivars or hybrids you need to get some hardy rootstock and try some grafting.

Go to a local orchard and see if you can get soem through them. My experiance is that like most people that work with plants orchardmen love to talk about their trade and pass on information.

Not anyuone like that around here is there?

Most apple trees are grafted onto root stock for protection against diseases, pests, etc. For you to propogate this part of the apple tree would probably work but not necessarily prevent the diseases or pests that sometimes plague fruit trees. I suggest you go to www. freeplants.com and post a message there. That board is loaded with friendly folks who do nothing but propogate plants. The webmaster Mike McGroarty would know the answer to your question. It's free and very helpful.

ray in south louisiana

Back