Apple Tree started from Seed-now what?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apple Seed

Reaction score
I have several apple "trees" started from seeds during the winter. They are growing indoors in flower pots on my kitchen window sill. They are each about six inches tall with healthy looking leaves. Do I cut them back or leave them alone? When do I need to plant them outdoors? Any special care? Is it true I need to plant two trees together in order to get apples some day? Your advice is appreciated. I live in Massachusetts.

Last edited:
Hi,
Here are a few general tips. Apple trees are very hardy, and actually need a lot of cold winter weather to produce fruit the following year. When transplanting make sure the roots don't get dry. Soak the ground really well. Lots of water the first two weeks (daily won't hurt). Once a week after that. I don't think you need to worry about training or pruning this year. Might want to protect them from rabbits and other varmints with munching on their minds, though.
Location- well draining soil best, they don't like "wet feet"; avoid low pockets where cold air might collect in the spring. Lots of sun, and good air circulation.
Fruit- two trees are needed for pollination. It will probably be five years or so before you have fruit. What kind of fruit? Nobody knows. Seedlings are a random genetic game of chance. John Chapman (Johnny Appleseed) was a real life person who planted thousands of seeds from which we have gotten a relative handful of varieties worth propagating. Henry David Thoreau was a big fan of wild seedling apples. So, you are in good company with your seedling experiment :)
Mike

Last edited:
Back