Apple Tree Variety

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paigowkitty

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
What's a "Malus' Cox's Orange Pippin Apple" tree? I recently purchased one but never heard of this variety. What can you tell me about this type of apple tree?

Thanks.

Cox's Orange Pippin

A seedling of 'Ribston Pippin' from England in 1830. Fruits mature on September 10. This greenish yellow apple
has red stripes over an orange blush. The fruits have rough, scarf skin, and the fruit is not attractive. Fruits
average 3.0 inches in diameter and weigh about 0.5 pounds. Shape is elliptical and oblate. Flesh is yellow, firm,
and moderately juicy. Flavor is tart. The British regard this as the finest flavored dessert apple, but its poor
appearance and tart flavor make this old variety unworthy of trial in Virginia.

Considered by many experts as the finest dessert apple
grown. This orange-yellow colored fruit with yellow flesh
ripens in late September. It dates back to 1830 in
England.

Zones 4-10.

Cox's Orange Pippin

A seedling of 'Ribston Pippin' from England in 1830. Fruits mature on September 10. This greenish yellow apple has red stripes over an orange blush.
The fruits have rough, scarf skin, and the fruit is not attractive. Fruits average 3.0 inches in diameter and weigh about 0.5 pounds. Shape is elliptical and oblate.Flesh is yellow, firm, and moderately juicy. Flavor is tart.

The British regard this as the finest flavored dessert apple, but its poor appearance and tart flavor make this old variety unworthy of trial in Virginia.

Considered by many experts as the finest dessert applegrown. This orange-yellow colored fruit with yellow flesh ripens in late September. It dates back to 1830 in England. Zones 4-10.

My search
http://search.dogpile.com/texis/search?q=Cox's+Orange+Pippin+Apple&geo=no&fs=web

There ar thousands of varieties of apple (Malus sp) out there. Some cultivars are derived from older ones.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back