Apple Tree with a disease

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruby

Reaction score
I purchased a home with an Apple tree in San Jose, CA. Not sure how old the tree is but the trunk is approximately 9 inches across. This season one side of the tree had problems. The majority of the bud on the left side shriveled up and died. The leaves died very early and the apples we did get ripened about 3-4 weeks ahead of the rest of the tree. I'm concerned the problem will spread to the other half of the tree but don't know what is causing this.

I was waiting for the tree to go dormant and then planned to heavily prune the left side of the tree. I still have probably a few weeks before the leaves fall off the right side. Today I took a look at the tree and noticed that the problem side is showing new groth and buds. I wasn't really expecting this as I figured that side was dying and not likely to keep growing.

I haven't noticed any sap bubbles on the tree so I don't think its a beetle problem.

I do have a climbing rose close to the tree that I have to prune often to keep out of the Apple tree. Don't know if maybe it is a souce of problems.

Would appreciate any feedback on what the problem could be and whether I should take a shot at pruning heavily or wait and see how it looks in the spring.

If the tips of the shoots are hooked it is probibly "fire blight". Prune back to good wood, dipping the cutting tool into 1:4 bleach:water. Let the toold sit for about 2 min between cuts to sanitize.

A coper oil spray in the spring can help reduce the chance of other parts getting infected.

Thanks John. The tips of the tree are fresh growth even on the side having problems so not sure what you would call good wood. Is this still consistent with fire blight. Would it help to see some pictures of the tree?

Here is what it looks like
D-AP-EAMY-FO.017.gif

If the area of dieback has shoots I would lean away from fireblight.

If you can download some pics it would help.

Attached are some pictures. I do notice what is probably the fire blight on a few branches where the tips are curled up and dead. Right before the dead part the tree seems to have healthy new growth so it seems like it would not be a good idea to cut back the tree, but I'de like to know your opinion. I can try to get some better shots of the branches. unfortunatly the camera wants to focus further out.

In this one you'll see the left side of the tree has no leaves

This shows new growth at the end of one of the branches on the left side of the tree. The background of the picture is the nearby climbing rose.

This is a picture of the climbing rose. Notice how the leaves are partially eaten. I've noticed this on part of the rose and its spread to the right side of the apple tree.

This is the right side of the apple tree. In a few areas I see leaves that have some patches of dead areas and are partially eaten like the rose.

Latest posts

Back