apple tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perley

Reaction score
I have a Priscella apple tree and a King David apple tree. However, I cannot
find any information regarding these trees such as: need for pollinator;
type of apple-fresh eating, cooking, or storage; and whether they will
pollinate other apple trees. I would appreciate any information that you may
have.
Thank you.
Willis F. Perley

Hi Willis,
Priscilla is a new variety, King David an heirloom. Both are known as good fresh-eating apples. King David sometimes is really good. Priscilla was developed at Purdue as a disease resistant variety, King David was found over 100 years ago as a chance seedling in Arkansas. Priscilla is a very early season apple, King David mid-season. Haven't tried Priscilla myself, but see King David every year.
Generally speaking the later ripening varieties are of better quality and last longer.
Apple varieties for the most part are not self-fertile, which means that they need to be pollinated by another variety. The potential problem with depending on these two varieties to pollinate each other is that they may not bloom at the same time.

Mike

Hi John,
They grow Macoun like crazy up here in the tundra. It seems real hardy. Good apple. Fruit a little like McIntosh (Macoun is a McIntosh X Jersey Black cross), but more character, darker red coloration. It is real resistant to fireblight and a vigorous grower. Thinning is important for size of fruit and to keep it productive annually. Fruit is coming in right now. Bruises easily, or we would probably be seeing it in the supermarkets.
Mike

Just had one today. The boss went out looking for an orchard that grows them.

Nice mild sweet flavor.

Where should I go to get some that would be producing in a year or two? What understock do you think best for it. Any other cultural practices?

John,
1 year is pushing it a little, two is reasonable. You'll have to use a dwarf rootstock and stake the tree. Adams County Nursery has a nice descriptive rootstock page at their site: http://www.acnursery.com/roots.htm
M-9 is being used here for dwarfing Macoun with success.
Everybody stresses aggressive thinning with Macoun to get it producing early and annually.
Another good source for info and to order trees:
Southmeadow Fruit Gardens
P.O. Box 211 - 10603 Cleveland Ave
Baroda, MI 49101
Phone 616-422-2411
http://www.southmeadowfruitgardens.com/
They specialize in new and obscure varieties and have a great reputation with the growers for being knowledgeable.

Latest posts

Back