Apples and Ash and such

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

faerymoose

Reaction score
My poor trees haven't been doing so hot the past couple of years. I had a linden removed by the city because they said it was dead, but it wasn't (long story) I don't want to have that happen to any of my other trees, so I have a couple of questions:
Ash: I have two ash trees and one seems to be having difficulty. I didn't see any spotting or leaf dropping last year, but this year, I have entire main branches that just didn't get any leaves. Is that normal for an ash? Both of my ash are fairly young in tree years (maybe 15-20 years old). Is there something I can do for them?

Apple: This year, my apple tree has been growing very well, but in the last couple of days, the leaves have been turning yellow and have these brown spots on them. The spots are darker brown in the center with rings of different colors of brown around them. Is my apple doomed?

Hedges: My hedges have a couple of volunteer trees growing in them and those leaves are getting yellow raised spots. When you turn the leaf over, there are several tiny orange circles in the indent. Should I be worried? Do I just remove those leaves?

Any help you could provide would be FABULOUS!!!!!! :bowdown:

Ash trees don't like drought. So after a few drought years in a row, yes large dead branches are common on Ash. trim them out and water during drought.
Another possiblity is girdling roots.

Leaf abnormalities are seldom a fatal problem. If it becomes a huge cosmetic problem, then you'll need to treat.
Apple trees need to be sprayed 3 times a year to prevent what sounds like Scab on your tree. Look at Ortho Home Orchard Spray, for next year, it's too late this year.
The other problem you mentions sounds like insect galls, which are harmless, for the most part. Again, if it's really bad, an insecticide applied before they appear.
Pictures would help, if you need more information.

One thing that has helped a couple of similar ash trees on my property (thanks to the stuff I've found on this board) was mulching around the roots out to the drip line.

Instead of trying to grow grass, I've tried to keep 1-2" of composted leaf mulch around them for the past year and a half. They seem improved this spring.

Latest posts

Back