appraisal figures

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gopher

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My sister and brother-in-law recently had a young driver crash through their yard and carome off of a silver maple of theirs. (It's 7.8" dbh, and in the corner of the yard.) They have nicer trees, but we had spent a number of years training this one, and getting some shape. Anyway, about one half of the bark has been stripped off from the ground up to about five feet. There is wounding into the wood, and imbedded glass, too. I have spoken with a Ken Simons who does much of this type of analysis in the Twin Cities area for some regional numbers. I also called four nurseries there to get costing information.

My question to all of you; "This tree won't die, but will be significantly altered, and more than likely decay in the stem soon - do we get the replacement cost figures, or some other lesser amoount?" The way I see it, they could get some benefit from the tree for a while, but then we would be removing (and I'd be doing it) in a number of years. Then they pay the whole bill for something that someone else damaged. Ken felt that they are intitled to compensation, and I guess I feel the same way.

Your comments are welcomed, as this is an area I am gaining experience, but still "green" in.

Gopher

You will have problems with that tree down the road. Why would anyone want to look at that tree with such a large wound in it? I would get a bid for removal of tree and stump and a bid to replace the tree. Personally I would choose a better tree to put in it's place. Lots to choose from.

BTW, how is the kid that crashed into the tree?

I agree, Tim on the replacing and species selection. I have only been doing the best for them with the cards I was dealt.

There were two teens, 16 and 17 in the S-10 P.U., which they eventually rolled over in my sister's neighbors yard at 1:30 AM. Neither of them were hurt, but the driver will lose his license until 21 due to the fact they were both over the alcohol limit, not to mention under age as well.

They (the parents or insurance) will also be buying an 8" locust they broke off in the neighbors yard. I hope the two of them learned a lesson.

Gopher

You can use the tree apraisers guide to get the best formula to value the tree, or go the way you are heading, Cost of Cure.

Since the tree in question is not the perfect species, does not have high personal value, small size; makes me think that after going through all the formulae you will find the value to be rather low, and depreciation amount even lower.

Since this is an 8 inch tree that has been maintained, would just one tree replace it? What would be reasonable, 2 or 3 2-inch trees? And of course the cost off removal, disposal, stump grind and replacemnt of soil after the grindings are removed. Then there is maintenance untill the new trees have established. Water, fert, labor..how many years is sufficient 2?

Q.x schuettei-swamp/bur hybrid, is a real nice tree for all spaces. 18-25 in per year juveile growth. Bicolor leaves with the corky twigs...

Need a consulting arborist?

Hey JPS, you can be their consulting arborist! It's my sister, and I work for the "relative rate" of "you owe me". If you want to be paid like that, well...

The tree may not be the gorgeous paper birch that is in front of their house, but it is a tree that has been taken care of (by me) for a number of years and someone wrecked it. We will eventually plant something else there.

I just posted this question due to the fact that my brother-in-law is the "fix-it" type, and is usually trying to fix anything even if it should be junked. He's got a crashed airplane that he wants to part out (maybe that plane he is building I won't ride in... !) Old cars, pinball games, etc. In any event, the tree is heavily damaged, and a value lost.

Thank you for assistance, as always.

Gopher:D

Yes this is true. All of us have to remember that we pay insurance premiums as well, so therefore want to be as precise as we can be to not abuse a system of insurance that has been abused plenty already.

When sending them the finished product, how do I properly show my cost for doing the appraisal? I am figuring on showing my cost as a separate line item and tallied up in the total.

It's time to hit the water! No more working on Sunday afternoon!

Gopher

The easiest way is to get a few estimates to apend to your report.

Your time is includeas hours billed, or fee.

Start the report with reason for inspection, refering to the police report. Describe the condition and the reason why this is a casualty tree, stress, probability of future decline and increased risk....

I've used an outline format in the past, seems to keep it consise and breif.

The labor parts can be quantified rather easily, the harder part is justifying reasonable replacment cost. is one tree reasoable to the injured party, is four reasonble to the insurance company. Hence the reason for "The Guide" and its supporting state value guide. It is some heavy reading, but it is good to quote paragraphs from along with using the formulae.

Yes, I've read through the 9th edition twicw, and used the replacement cost formula as well. What I did was go with straight replacement of the size tree that was damaged, and also did the "Tree Appraiser's Guide" formula using site index, tree condition rating, etc. as well.

I have mixed feelings about the validity of some of the portions in the Guide. The "contribution" is so very much a vague number, and any tree is valued differently in the landscape depending on each persons likes and dislikes.

In many cases, I think the emphasis should be placed on the extent of the damage and if there is reasonable probability that the tree will survive in a viable state for what would be considered it's useful lifetime. If not, then the claimant should be awarded the replacement cost (plus clean-up, etc.) to move anew tree in there, not by some reduced amount based on where it was in the landscape, what percentage it played in the overall picture.

Of course, these ideas I listed really only apply for a fairly small tree, ones that can be routinely moved with a large tree spade. I realize that once we are loking at settlements on larger, more mature trees, the location, condition, percaentage of total landscape value should all come into play as the Guide suggests.

Also, something to consider; "how many people put the "Guide" together?" and are they all tree people? (I've had two discussions with two different individuals that brought forth some interesting points about what I just asked.)

All interesting tree talk.

Gopher

Latest posts

Back