Arborist Article in W.S.J.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

logbutcher

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Check out the "Step Away from the Chippers" in the WallStreet Journal (yes, some of us are G.D. Capitalists !) Friday, 21 Dec 2007. Nice read on controls imposed on homeowners' and arborists' cutting. Fines, court appearances etc...
Do you ever do:
Hatracking ?
Topping ?
Flush cutting ?
Tipping ?
Lion Tailing ?

They're even using the term "Tree Abuse" :censored: :censored:

lol

A citizen of my fine city sent me a copy that is sitting on my desk right now. Guess I have to read it now........

Just read it. What a joke. I can't believe there are places in the United States of America where the local government is telling citizens what they can and cannnot do with their own property.

I am a tree lover and all, but we have chosen to try to educate the public as to the benefits of trees rather than fine them for pruning or removing.

Last edited:
A citizen of my fine city sent me a copy that is sitting on my desk right now. Guess I have to read it now........
Just read it. What a joke. I can't believe there are places in the United States of America where the local government is telling citizens what they can and cannnot do with their own property.
I am a tree lover and all, but we have chosen to try to educate the public as to the benefits of trees rather than fine them for pruning or removing.

Was that "citizen" called "Menino" a.k.a. "mumbles" ?:givebeer:

No joke, more like frightening, huh ?

It is just like any other type of contracting it should be done to a certain standard just like electrical and plumbing. The home owner should have to get a permit to do the work and it should be done to a certain professional standard. They recently passed a law in Vancouver, WA that you have to get a permit to trim/remove street trees and that the work has to be done by a ISA Cert. arborist. They had to do this because in a mere 15 years they had lost over 60% of their trees. If an ignorant tree hater moves every 6 years (the average for the US) and tops or removes all the trees at each of those locations think of the total damage that has been done to the community.

Last edited:
It is just like any other type of contracting it should be done to a certain standard just like electrical and plumbing. The home owner should have to get a permit to do the work and it should be done to a certain professional standard. They recently passed a law in Vancouver, WA that you have to get a permit to trim/remove street trees and that the work has to be done by a ISA Cert. arborist. They had to do this because in a mere 15 years they had lost over 60% of their trees. If an ignorant tree hater moves every 6 years (the average for the US) and tops or removes all the trees at each of those locations think of the total damage that has been done to the community.

Homeowners were allowed to trim/remove City owned street trees before???

Anyone got a link to the article?

Education is not as effective as regulation and fines.

Latest posts

Back