?Arborist? cutting next door, tossing into my yard

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't post here much. but have been keeping track of this thread and i must say you are being far to lenient. like Mike Maas said chances are they have no insurance so waiting for something to hit your house or something else and cause real damage is just not smart. let them know now that you are not happy with the damage all ready being done before something is broke they can't afford to fix. these guys are hacks and need to be set straight. also i would point it out to your neighbors whether you have a good relationship or not. in my way of thinking it does not matter how accommodating you are to them he will never accept you so at the very least make him respect you and whats yours.

Just ask them nicely to stay off your side. If they want to work on your side, just ask them to send you a proof of insurance including liability and worker's comp.
At least, get the name of the insurance company and call to confirm they have both. Otherwise, ask them to stay off your property.

Dadatwins said:
I do not believe your arguement would be with the 'ivory tower' neighbor, but with the nitwit tree company that is trespassing on your property and causing damage. Shot holes in the ground may look minimal, but damage to underground utilities may be a reality. Logs bouncing 6" near my house should issue a much bigger response than 'oh well'. Why wait till something does get damaged? I would request they get off your property immediatly, repair the damage and work from the property owners side, however difficult it may be.

Another point would be that if results of damage come up a week, a month, or a year after this work, if there is no documentation that it happened, it will be impossible to prove they are responsible. I am thinking of your pecan tree, it looks fine now, but what if something shows up in a few months? I'd raise hell with the tree company myself.

Trinity Honoria said:
(2) he's been around enough to see what is being done-- he sees it, is ignoring it, and he knows better.

Well, he sees it, but has it even clicked for him that bombing chunks down 6" from your house is a bad thing. It's amazing how little common sense some people have, he may be ignorant enough that he couldn't be expected to say or do something about it. The fact is the workers are the people who should know better, it's their job to, and they're the ones being negligent.

This all reminds me of the clowns cutting a huge perfect spruce (probably 80') that was just over their side of the property line at the last house we lived in (rented). The neighbor was the groundman, standing right under where the limbs were getting bombed down, by the clown he hired, hanging in the tree by one arm and one handing a saw with the other. No lines at all. And the crap was falling on our house and fence. And they got upset when we called the landlord to go over and put a stop to it. That's OK, this is the guy that used village equipment from where he worked to haul it away, and I'd see him putting 5 gallon cans of oil in his home heating oil tank, probably #2 diesel stolen from the village too. I'd love to see this guy on the street now that we're no longer neighbors.

Last edited:
as advised, i just wandered out there, as there are gents picking up the chunks of tree... the owner of the "tree company' was out there... i asked when they were removing the logs from my yard, and he "ma'amed" me to death... i have the name of his company now...

and then he told me he'd been told i'd been "a bit ill" to his worker the other day...

i think i should've been a banshee earlier on...

and i just called my arborist to come out & take a look at the pecan tree (and the dogwoods that i asked y'all about earlier)

As said earlier, these are the guys that give our profession a bad name. Word of crappy service spreads faster than that of great service.

Tree Machine said:
As said earlier, these are the guys that give our profession a bad name. Word of crappy service spreads faster than that of great service.

as i was outside, walking one of my deaf children's service dog, a neighbor with a splendid house, walked down to these tree guys and hired them to come down and remove one of his trees!!!

i am delighted that the tutoring here has educated me... and tho i don't plan on taking down any trees, if i have to, i know more about what to ask and what to listen for when i hire someone...

perhaps it is over

about 2:30 pm, the owner of Joe Bob Bubba's tree service showed up, dropped off 2 guys from the local homeless shelter and the guy with the tremor who was using the chainsaw last night... Joe Bob Bubba yelled at these men, telling them what he wanted them to do, then roared off in his bright orange (ASPLUNDH orange, no name on it) truck...

the guys stood there, looking dazed, not knowing what to do... then i saw them rolling large logs to the curb... when i returned at 5:30, all the stuff was cleaned up, and the men were stranded until Joe Bob Bubba returned to carry them back to the shelter.

next phase: stump grinder.

phase #3: landscapers arrive...

thank all of you for your guidance, help, and tutoring...

Good news that your property wasn't damaged unless you consider the divot damage (and many folks do...a beautiful yard is a lot of hard work and a lot of money). Best of luck with the landscapers. I do hope Joe Bob Bubba isn't going to be the landscape contractor.

sigh

then i certainly failed, as i didn't notice anything getting stirred up...

although i am on my way out the door, i will leave a note for one of the kids to take digitals of the stumps next door and post when i return...

on the list i moderate, "trolls" are people looking for hotties of the opposite (or same) gender...

thank you for the definition...

tophopper said:
I smell a troll

Trinity has been here for a while, IIRC.

And yes, this is the more Internet based definition of "troll".

I could definitely see this all happening, having similar situations occur in my own (previous) back yard...

tophopper said:
I smell a troll

I don't think Trinity is a troll. I know her from another forum and I don't think she has the time for trolling.

the troll defends herself <grin>

ok, after a day of errands, i can report that the stump grinder has been here, the guys from the homeless shelter have raked it all up, all the bits & pieces of tree are gone... the big ole truck is still there, the big ??oak?? in the very front has had more than 4 large limbs removed on the house side, so not sure if that is coming down as well...

and to defend my honor :p , i am posting some pics... the first one shows how close the houses are (mine is the white in center of the pic), the first three slender trees from the left are on the neighbors turf.

the second shows the stumps from the side of my house... the bush on the left is mine, the others are on the neighbor's land.

Removing pines around dogwoods, just watch the dogwood decline over the next year or two. Raping the oak in front, too?
This architect is a real idiot.

I'm writing a report right now for a developer who was given stupid orders from an architect and is having $80k held back because he followed the specs and the trees died. :angry: People should really stay in their field of expertise.

Thanks for the pics, best of luck.

treeseer said:
Removing pines around dogwoods, just watch the dogwood decline over the next year or two. Raping the oak in front, too?
This architect is a real idiot.

Ditto that, and I am sure the stump grinder will have no mercy on the root systems for any of those trees. Like I said in earlier post, Nitwit tree service. :(

Help me save my dogwoods!

EEEEEEEEEKKKKK! as pines exit left, my dogwoods bite the bullet???

is there anything i can do???

OK, so do i need to put pine needle mulch around my dogwoods???

dogwoods are my very favorite tree... what can i do???

ok, i sound like an idiot... or simply uninformed

i just returned from my 2 mile morning walk with a woman with a degree in horticulture from Texas A & M... of course, her specialty is cut flowers so i don't get a whole lot of tree info... but she said it's the shade the dogwoods need, not the pine needles...

so again, folks, let me know what i can do to preserve my dogwoods... and thank you for being tolerant of the ignorant...

Latest posts

Back