Arctic Saw Change Over.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the tree guy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Is it possible to change over my huky 372 or 088 into an arctic version?How well do the Arctics work?Thanks for your help.:D Dan

Stihl arctic versions have heated handles (there may be some exception to this, I'm no expert). I'm sure you don't want to pay for all the parts needed to retrofit your saw, handles, new coil, new flywheel, switch, etc. There may not even be compatable parts to fit your saw. There may be mods you can do to improve cold weather performance of your saw like re-directing the incoming air over the cylinder first to prevent carb icing. And blocking the lower portion of the fan housing off so it doesn't eat snow, snow is water and you don't want your saw to drink ANY watetr it'll wash the oil off the cylinder wall. Some manufacturers (Stihl included) offer accessories for this purpose but you'll likely have to pester the dealer to look them up. There is a hedge trimmer available for the 026 (it's in the accessory book anyway) that I asked my dealer about. He looked at me like I was nuts. I bet him six pack it was in the book. He lost!

yes - they have heated handles and a heated carburetor (husky and stihl i think too) - think they usually run about $60+ more than the normal versions. i wouldnt bother with a changeover - seems like a lot of work. people i have asked really seem to like em though.

Hi There, the 088 isnt available in an arctic model, but the 084 was. I saw an MS260 Arctic yesterday. The only current Stihl Arctics are the 026, 044, 036 and 066 which comes stock with Western wrap handle. All my saws are Arctics or Sno Pro's if available because I like to believe that they are made assuming only a pro would buy them, but I know they use them also in the Antarctic by Scientific crews for cutting ice. I wouldnt bother with a change over, just sell you saw and buy one.
Your saw becomes even a closer friend when the handles are heated when its used in sub zero temps. The heated carb also reduces water score on the intake side in humid enviroments.
Hotsaw Johnny

I think the Arctics are great and the added weight is insignificant. I am going to tear down my 066KD and put the jug, piston, muffler and carb on a brandnew 066 Arctic block. That otta crank out the BTU's !
John

Back