Are most ebay saw buyers insane?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Its scored and needs a new piston and cylinder" per the listing. That is blown up to me. Price I looked up for the jug and piston was 228. That puts you at 556 before labor or any other parts. Why wouldn't you just buy a new one?

Not if you have a parts saw with a clean P&C or if you gamble that the jug will clean up and there is a good AM piston available. Or used parts.

saw is 600$ new plus tax, put 40ish$ into this one, sell it for 500 and still make 100$. Or keep it, fix it, and have a 600$ for less than 400$. Or fix it, port it, and make more.

Yah, saw prices on Ebay and CL here are insane. Saw a Stihl MS290 on Ebay a while back for $700. 036 saw listed last week was $600 in Southern Oregon.
If you put up a used/parts saw (or whatever) on Ebay, or a sale site, for to any one into the type of items for a way out price ( Which the seller seem to think is a fair/good price,or they are knowingly trying to con/rip buyers off) & some one for whatever reason comes along & pays the asking price. Then if the seller has further ( Junk/ way out pricing kit to sell he/she is going to carry on, it's human nature in most cases) It's the people that are for whatever reason buying that are fueling the silly prices, if the seller is left with the sales items & nobody bothers to inquire the price will fall if they want to sell. Problem is you only need 1 guy that thinks the item is a fair/good price & the problem will continue, my Grandad had a good saying " There's one born every minute & 3 waiting for them to be born"

I once saw two of the same saws on eBay one had a buy it now price and the other was still in the middle of the bid process, the one with the buy it now price was obviously the better of the two, yet the other one was already going for more with a couple of days still left. Must be the thrill of the hunt.

There are also some eBay buyers out there who know that an item is not as described and they can use it to leverage for some money back. They are willing to overpay on the front end and get it back on the back end because eBay will always support the buyer.

Back