Are my bargain Labonville full wrap chaps too short?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

g pierce

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
For a couple of years I've been cutting wood for heating and realized I need chaps. I bought these as-new, full wrap Labonville chaps on ebay after returning a pair of chaps that didn't meet 1897-08 specs.
These are size Long (36"). According to Labonville's recommended measuring I should wear an x-long, which should be 40"? (I'm 5' 9 1/2", measure 39" from the top of my belt line to my ankle and wear a 32' inseam), but I couldn't resist bidding on them and got them dirt cheap ($38.53 shipped).
I tried them on and when worn at my jeans belt line (as recommended) they were obviously too short. Also, I felt really uncomfortable and restrained by the position of the thigh straps. So I dropped them down below my belt line. I figured I could wear suspenders if they didnt' stay up, but after doing some walking, moving and bending with them on they still stay up and I felt much more comfortable and less restricted by the thigh straps.
Do they look like an acceptable fit? I've seen varied opinions; some say they should come down my instep and some dont. Since they are full wrap, I don't see how they could go any lower down my instep without being worn looser at the bottom strap (maybe too loose?).
I love a bargain, but I want to be as safe as can be expected and respect the opinions of those who are much more experienced.

labonville-fit.JPG

Attachments

• labonville-fit.JPG
    labonville-fit.JPG
    183.8 KB · Views: 19
Supposed to cover over your boots a bit, couple inches too short in the picture.

I measured by their instructions and that is how mine fit. I like them and I paid full price. You got a deal.

Looks fine. I've worked with guys whose chaps barely go past their knee.
Keep the saw away from your leg and you shouldn't even need them.

Chaps should be worn stagged, meaning they should be just below the top of the boot, unless regs have changed.
Chaps that are too long snag on branches and other ground debris.

Chaps should be worn stagged, meaning they should be just below the top of the boot, unless regs have changed.
Chaps that are too long snag on branches and other ground debris.

The old guy here is spot on. Your chaps should be about 2" below the tops of your boots. Also your shirt needs to be more macho and change your socks before you take a selfie.

Back