Are oak pallets seasoned?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
burning pallets

When you burn those wooden pallet please don't do your mailman a favor and fill that hole in front of your mailbox with the ashes. Those fastners will love his tires. Believe me it happens.
Joe B
Retired Mail Carrier

When you burn those wooden pallet please don't do your mailman a favor and fill that hole in front of your mailbox with the ashes. Those fastners will love his tires. Believe me it happens.
Joe B
Retired Mail Carrier
i believe you that it happens but who would be DUMB enough to 'think' ashes would be good to fill in a hole, let alone a hole you drive over.....

'they walk among us'

I was talking about the oak 4"x4"x8' timbers. I got about a dozen myself and they are quite stout. I lost out on quite a few to a fellow that burnt them but I feel they are way too nice a piece of lumber to burn. Sour grapes!:)

Hey, speaking of oak pallets! I just got a line on some 4'x8' pallets. These have 3 runners that look to be about 3"x4", and the slats are about 4", spaced about 4" apart. He gets a few every week, and just wants them gone.

I see a new woodshed in my future! :clap:

Joe B
Retired Mail Carrier

Not to change the subject but what do you do with your ashes. I burn pallets full of nails and I put ash in a steel 5gal pail. Let sit a week outside then throw in the garbage. :cheers:

I work as a Sheetmetal Worker and we get all out metal on 4x10' pallets with 4"x3" oak runners and 2x4 oak crossmembers. It takes me about 15 minutes to dismantle and cut them up with our shop chop saw and I have a nice supply of dry clean wood for the fireplace. Ive thought about using them for projects but they burn so nicely:p

Dave

I work as a Sheetmetal Worker and we get all out metal on 4x10' pallets with 4"x3" oak runners and 2x4 oak crossmembers. It takes me about 15 minutes to dismantle and cut them up with our shop chop saw and I have a nice supply of dry clean wood for the fireplace. Ive thought about using them for projects but they burn so nicely:p

Dave

Those are the same skids I been getting for firewood. check this out. Do they look like these? http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=80195

Don't all the nails jam the ash augers in your OWBs?

Treated Oak pallets

I have heard that the oak pallets were treated with insecticide, after I used them throughout the house for lumber.
I started a heavy duty shelf unit with the 1.25" thick boards but my back got injured in the process of me saving money this way.:cry:
Any way, I have stored them outside under a tarp for the past 10 years hoping to use them sometime.

I recently unwrapped them and the wood that was not oak or even a pallett showed signs of insect damage,infestation and rot.

The Oak and pallet boards were all untouched by insects and all intact. Where water got to the boards it was rotten but the dry boards were like the day I wrapped them.

It seems the boards are treated in some way and I wonder how safe it really is to burn or use in the home for lumber projects?

If you guys know people who work at sheetmetal shops, try to get some brown fire starting paper from them. Stainless steel has a 5x10 sheet of brown paper between each sheet. Thats the only place I can get plain brown paper anymore. Also get some of the 59'' tubes that insulation is rolled around. I cut those to length and pile those with my kindling. They are like paper towel rools but much heavier.

Years ago I worked in a Clinch Tite factory. I think the incoming logs went out the same day as pallets. Since then, I have been around other factories and most of the new pallets were still green. It is much easier to drive nails into green hard wood than cured.

Like others have stated, I'd avoid with all my might burning 4x4x8 oak timbers. I've got too many sagging beams to hold up!

Also, because of the possible pesticide/other chemical treatment as well as that a lot of wood stove manuals specifically state not to burn kiln dried lumber, I assume because of the danger of overfiring.

burn them

I say burn them! I don't want to run a missed staple/nail/fastener through my planner. It's sometimes bad enough hitting those unseen objects with a chainsaw chain. I keep older damaged saw chain just for garbage like that. I know that some of you don't have access to oak everyday so I can see trying to save some hardwood. I have friends in Washington that keep all the shipping pallets that are hardwood for projects. But they occasionally pay the price of the broke off hidden metal verses carbide power tool. Its a sound you will not soon forget!!!!!!! the Hoosier

Sharpen your chain its a jungle out there!!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back