are the oaks dead?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schlepie

Reaction score
I am starting to clear brush and trees from some 2 acres of land we hope to build on. Lots of cedars, oaks and misquite. Want to keep as many of the oaks as possible. The trees are all intertwined with each other. There are lots of the larger oaks that still have leaves and are green. Many others are smaller (10 - 18' tall) with no leaves and look dead. How do you tell if one is officially dead?

schlep

Moment of absolute death - apopsis - with no hope of vascular recovery - generally happens in oaks that host wilt and the bud development from late summer throughout the Fall is the straw that breaks the proverbial camel's back.

The periphery twigs may look as though there are swelling buds, indicating next season's leaf - but take those sticks in hand and break them - brittle means dead, softer inner tissue may indicate dormancy. Move on down the limb and examine larger diameter tissue....more dry brittleness and continued death.

We've discovered that the demands of bud development pretty much seal the tree's fate if there is active systemic infection of vascular inhibiting fungal growth, which is wilt's operandi atipicum. Don't condem the entire tree however - there are documented cases of recovery. It's your call depending on the value and location of each specimen. It's now late Jan. - are you familiar with fruiting stimulation technique?

You have wilt, I'm banking a wager on it. 78 Texas Counties are reporting active progressing infection centers. What is important that advice offered by the State or agencies guided by the wisdom of A&M be taken with two aspirins and a sweatcloth of critique - their data is flawed and recommendations favor chemical peddlers who underwrite research objectives - well known in plant science circles.

Look towards the base of the main stem - excise tissue and examine closely - you'll know the difference between dead and pliable, base your removal decisions on that.

Wie gehts?

I am in Austin also where the blackland prarie hits the hill country.

You probably have more than one type of oak. The live oaks should be green now. the others are probably dormant. There are lots of other kinds of oaks commonly found in the oak/mesquite/juniper association. They could be shin oaks, spanish oaks, or even lacey oaks.

Look for swollen bud on the tips of the branches.

I recommend going to a book store and getting Benny Simpson's "A Field Guide to Texas Trees"

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/ornamentals/

try that tree id link.

Nathan

You need to find out if you have some of the spanish/red oaks, post oaks, etc. to know if your trees are dead or alive. The other posts from oakwilt and treetx are right on.

I tell my customers to leave a mix of trees because our area is one of the largest oak wilt centers in our country. There are plenty of live oaks that survive oak wilt and live in various stages of decline for years. I believe in thinning underbrush around stressed trees but I am against having only one type of tree. My philosophy is save some of your ornamentals and cedar trees. If you have mesquite, leave them too. If oak wilt does run through your neighborhood, then you will have something live if you can't save your oak trees. Just my two cents!

Back