Are these worth the price

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

czyhorse

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
There is a fellow in my area that has the following saws for sale:
Stihl 026 - $150
Husqvarna 162 - $100

the 026 looks used but ok in the pics. he says it runs.
The 162 looks more used, some missing paint on the main chassis. The guy says this one runs as well. From what I’ve read parts are hard to come by if it needs work.

are these saws priced right? Worth the investment?

neither are the pro saw I am looking for but if priced right might be fun to play with.

what say ye?

Stihl 026 - $150
Husqvarna 162 - $100

The 162 looks more used, some missing paint on the main chassis. The guy says this one runs as well. From what I’ve read parts are hard to come by if it needs work.

neither are the pro saw I am looking for but if priced right might be fun to play with.

what say ye?

The 026 is a pro saw.
Yes that is a good price if it all checks out.
No idea about the husky

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know nothing about husky, but if I was in the market for a 50cc saw I would take the 026 for $150 for sure. The 026 is a pro saw but I believe some came with adjustable oilers and some didn’t.

I know nothing about husky, but if I was in the market for a 50cc saw I would take the 026 for $150 for sure. The 026 is a pro saw but I believe some came with adjustable oilers and some didn’t.

The “pro” models came with an adjustable oiler and decomp. Think a more adjustable carb too
Theres a 026 and a 026 PRO.
Both are professional saws, ie split mag case and all that jazz

162 one of the greatest saws ever made. Pro model it is a souped up version of a 61.The 162 was made long before the 61 and its Jonsereds twin the 630 was a copy of the 162.
It is a tad smaller and more compact than a 266 or 268 but in small wood will pretty well keep up.
Kash
I read that it was a really good saw in its day which is what peeked my interest in it. I kinda like Husky’s too. Is it worth $100? It is missing some paint. Looks a bit dirty, if The outside looks grubby I assume the inside needs a good cleaning too. From what I’ve seen parts are hard to get if needed.

Only saw I ever bought brand new November 1979 at Noro Saw in Thunderbay Ontario Canada 675.00 Canadian dollars including the tax.The two owners told me it was there smaller pro model they gave me a free extra chain and a case of Castroll oil and told me to mix it 25to 1 asked them why it said in the owners manual to mix 50to1 with Husky oil .The two little swedes laughed and said go ahead but you will be back for a new saw shortly.Noro saw supplied alot of the paper company bush camps and other loggers in the 70s 80s and 90s when bush work was full bore here. They were the largest seller of saws in North America for many many years.The shop is closed now and most of our forest is gone .Corporate greed.
Pro saw back in the day was the saws used by pro loggers to earn their living.
Kash

I read that it was a really good saw in its day which is what peeked my interest in it. I kinda like Husky’s too. Is it worth $100? It is missing some paint. Looks a bit dirty, if The outside looks grubby I assume the inside needs a good cleaning too. From what I’ve seen parts are hard to get if needed.
Any saw that gets used is going to be missing some paint and be dirty. For $100 I'd grab it. 20 minutes of your time and you'll have a clean saw. Yes, it's an older saw but common parts should be pretty easy to come by.

PRO saws were defined by their crankcases made of metal and vertically split while the cylinder fastened to the crankcase with just a gasket between the two. The bearings sit in pockets in the crankcase. Most of the early all mag saws were made that way but when the clamshell saws mostly made of plastic came into use then the mag crankcase saws became known as Pro saws.

oh and if you get the 026, dont think the saw is broken cause it spews oil all the time.
with the 026 it has a crank driven oiler, meaning whenever it is running the oil is flowing. it is not controlled by the clutch!

i thought mine was broken when i first got it. where is all this oil coming from?!?!

Stihl 026 - $150
Husqvarna 162 - $100

what say ye?
Crazy: You mention he says it runs. Whats the problem with letting you start it up to see if it runs?

Stihl 026 - $150
Husqvarna 162 - $100

what say ye?

I bought a slightly used 162 SE about 23 years ago and it's still my favorite saw and has been as dependable as my Stihl 031 AV.
It's little quieter, less vibration and all around little more comfortable to use then the tough old 031 AV is. Obviously it also has little bigger engine and more power.
I had no trouble finding a replacement OEM or aftermarket spare oil pump on the eBay.

Attachments

• IMG_4129.JPG
    IMG_4129.JPG
    8.1 MB · Views: 8
My trusty old 162 has cut thousands of cords of wood and still runs like it did back in 79.I prefer it over its first cousin the Jonsereds 630.I also prefer the 266 over its cousin the 670.They are all very very good saws almost equal performance wise but I do not like the choke fast idle set up on the Jons .Some guys love the set up I also like the 3 screw one piece top cover on the Husky Most of the 630 and670s I have got came with wrecked screws in the smaller carb cover.
Each to their own just my 2 cents.
Kash

Latest posts

Back