Are these worth the price

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I take "neither are the pro saw im looking for" as "im looking for a pro saw and these aren't pro saws"

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Thats how i read it too but looking back i think he means theyre not the specific models hes looking for

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats how i read it too but looking back i think he means theyre not the specific models hes looking for

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is indeed how I really meant it. But I was also not clear on what constituted a “pro” saw. I am a bit confused about several things. Some say a “pro” saw of the same engine size will perform better then a homeowner saw. How does that work? For instance why do two saws that both have 55 cc cylinders not give similar results. I have a 55cc “homeowner“ saw. How does a 55cc “pro” saw out perform that saw? I have been cutting firewood and running saws most of my life. It is just now that I need so much more wood then in the past that I am looking for more performance and paying attention to all this stuff. Ignorant not dumb.

A lot of pro stuff has already been explained in this thread as I stated PRO saw a saw that is preferred by professional loggers over other saw models.Do a search of the site for what constitues a pro saw.Its the details ie adjustable oiler closed port cylinder magnesium case heated handle bars in the north good power to weight Good build quality Strong recoil housing and pulley..The list goes on.
Kash

That is indeed how I really meant it. But I was also not clear on what constituted a “pro” saw. I am a bit confused about several things. Some say a “pro” saw of the same engine size will perform better then a homeowner saw. How does that work? For instance why do two saws that both have 55 cc cylinders not give similar results. I have a 55cc “homeowner“ saw. How does a 55cc “pro” saw out perform that saw? I have been cutting firewood and running saws most of my life. It is just now that I need so much more wood then in the past that I am looking for more performance and paying attention to all this stuff. Ignorant not dumb.
For example...an ms260 is a pro saw, makes about 3.5hp, and us 50.2cc. And is 10.6lbs

An ms290 is a farm saw, more plastic bits, clamshell engine. 56.5cc, weighs 13lbs and makes 3.8hp.

Both will pull a 20" bar fine, the power difference is...negligible, but the Pro saw is built better, weighs 2.4lbs less..from a 6.3cc smaller engine.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

The ms261 is a pro saw vs the ms271 is a farm and ranch mid version. Both are the same 50cc but the pro saw makes .5 more hp is 1.5 pounds lighter. Just because the engine size is the same doesn’t mean they’re identical or will make the same power. Compression, timing/tuning all come into play.

I’m trying to get a buddy of mine to swap his 271 for a 261. He’s 56 and I know he would appreciate the weight difference with cutting all day and it’s probably a little faster. The price is what keeps the average person away but to someone that does 5 plus cords a year, The upgrade is worth it IMO.

The ms261 is a pro saw vs the ms271 is a farm and ranch mid version. Both are the same 50cc but the pro saw makes .5 more hp is 1.5 pounds lighter. Just because the engine size is the same doesn’t mean they’re identical or will make the same power. Compression, timing/tuning all come into play.

I’m trying to get a buddy of mine to swap his 271 for a 261. He’s 56 and I know he would appreciate the weight difference with cutting all day and it’s probably a little faster. The price is what keeps the average person away but to someone that does 5 plus cords a year, The upgrade is worth it IMO.
Dude, I'm new here so please keep that in mind. But anyways I don't need to cut as much wood as I used too, kids gone and not heating 3000sf with wood any more. So I kept the saws that I thought were cool or had history (Homelite Super XL, Echo 610evl and even my first saw an early Eager Beaver). Donated my bigger Stihls and went to my dealer to buy a MS261. I ended up walking out with a 271, and price was way low on the list of why. The dealer that's sold me 20 saws over the years, basically told me NO on the 261. I wanted it for all the reasons you mentioned, lighter and more snot. Then he told me to think about it..."your just cleaning up around the ranch now and then, buy a 6 pack of oil and get a 2 year warranty. Plus a carbide chain and I'll see you once in awhile to sharpen that." Granted I saved some dough, but he was right....why maintain a hot rod if you just need a basic 4x4 PU that starts every time. I wouldn't want to make a living with it, but I'm in the same boat as your buddy...56 and 5 cords. And with the cash he'd save he can get the 5 cords dropped off. Just my 2 cents. Ben

Latest posts

Back