Are we a bunch of whiners

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darin

No Longer Here
Reaction score
How many of you look at the weight of a saw as a determining factor of your purchase? Obviously this has changed over the years as you can see in the collectors corner. It used to take two guys for some of them oldies. I ask this question because I used to hear it all the time (this saw is too heavy!!) Some of the guys were huge and they are whining about 12 pounds. I personally think Husqvarna has come along way in the power to weight ratio issue. I never have really cared about the weight issue, but wondered if you all do.
Darin

I've never had a problem with weight too much, but I never tried to see how heavy of a saw I could use. I started climbing with the old Poulan super25. But when I tried the Echo, I was willing to give up some power for a lighter saw. After a couple years with the Echo, that old Poulan was too heavy to climb with.
On some of my bigger removals, I decided the Stihl 038M was a little too big for using in the tree safely, so I got a 026 for bigger cuts aloft. Just a matter of keeping your equipment sharp and running perfectly. I let the saw work at its own pace. Trying to force a dull saw wears you out, as well as the saw.
At Davey Tree, I was issued a new Husky 3120XP(?). I only loaded it up when the trunk was too big to circle with the Stihl 038. It was an awesome saw, but not one you wanted to carry all day. The one time I forgot to press the compression release it just about ripped my arm off trying to start it. :)

I don't consider weight when I pick my saw. I consider what saw will get the job done the faster, safest, and easiest. Most of the time I over kill the situation, it just so happens that my favorite saw is a Homelite 2100 with a 32" Roller nose bar, .404" square ground chisel chain, and a 8 tooth sprocket. This saw keeps the wood fiber flying. I normally choose the 2100 for any job over 12" in dia. Tipping the scales at 30 pounds dripping wet, I can't lie, the saw does tire me out. On the other hand you pay for power. Normally I pay for using the saw the next day. Most of the guys I work with like to use the lightest saw, if it has power or not. Weight is never a factor in buying a saw, lighter weight normally means more plastic, and I don't like plastic. oh well, Happy sawing, Jonathan

When using a saw steady, I figure that when it runs out of gas (almost), its time for a fiver. Well, with the 064 and 066, I run out of gas before it does. I am ready for a break about 3 minutes before the saw is.

I don't have very strong wrists anymore - too much office work, so, more and more, I fell the need to consider weight. Yep - I'm a wimp. ;)

No im not a whiner.I remember when the greatest climbing saw came out, the stihl 041. I was happy till the 045 came.great climbing saws.Now people think the 7.7 lb saws are heavy.Im not a whiner I guess that makes me a ole fart.

i cut all day with a homelite 360 with a 24", a McCulloch 200 with a 30", and on ocasion a mal model 12 with a 26" bar and a titan sportsman. that mall tips the scales at a staggering 60 lbs all fueled up. i only pull out the mall when i feel energetic. I run out of power before she does though.

Darin,

Yes, I think weight and especially power to weight ratio are very important. I believe the success of the Stihl 026 is mainly due to it having 3.5HP in a powerhead that weighs only 10.6lbs.

How a saw is balanced also effects how heavy it feels. And although I like light weight, vibration seems to take its toll more in the long run.

Husqvarna has really made some progress in this area of ergonomics. Try out a Husky 346XP or a 350, their lowest vibration saw, along side any other saw. The smoothness of these will change your thinking after a long day.

Saws are safer and less tiring than ever. I too use more safety equipment now than I ever did before.

Are we wimps? Naw, We're just gettin smarter about choosing the tools we use.

"Work smarter not harder" was my motto I always told my 130 lb. groundman at Davey Tree. When we first started working together he would try to carry a 100+ lb. log from the back yard to the truck, or pick up the BIG Husky to cut a 8"-10" limb. After a while he started using the 026 Stihl to cut anything under 14"-18" and used the wheelbarrow or wood dolly for big logs.;)

I just purchased a 046 Mag and according to stihl it tips the scales at 14.4 lbs. Now i have to go with Chain Gang on this one with my 24" bar the saw seems perfectly balanced and with the low vib handle it just doesnt feel like im working as much. I didnt even consider weight so much as horsepower when i decided on my saw. I wanted a saw that i could mount a bar long enough that i wouldnt have to bend over much to reach logs on the ground with the power to rip through them. However im young(25) and in the so called prime of my strength.

Someday ill probably end up like my Grandfather who had an ole Homelite (model i dont know but it had a 2 cylinder engine and a 40" bar HEAVY is all i know the way my father talked)
anyways he now has a stihl 009 that he watchs my brother use.

By the way confuesd,Hows that beast doing ? Just remember its going to take at least 10 fuel tanks before you get all the power out of it.

Sonny,

Four tanks down Six to go. As far as the saw one word "UN@&#$INGBELIEVABLE" I'm totally and completely satisfied with that powerhouse. Im running my mix just a touch richer is all for the first 10 tanks I mixed .8 gallons to the one unit of oil.

thanks for all the help
kurt

Hey Sonny watch it with the low blows. I have never said anything negative about stihl or husqvarna. By the way I own both, because my Homelites Eat Stihls and S*** Huskys. I gotta keep my Homelites fed and regular. Ha Ha, both Stihl and Husqvarna offer excellent products. I just like collect old red stuff from our hemisphere. Jonathan:blob2:

Last edited by a moderator:
I cant let this go without a little fuel mix to the fire. Even though I prefer Husky I have the sense to acknowledge the other companies make fine products. No one can tell me the super ez automatic is not one of the finest saws for the weight and power per c.i. ever made. Also Stihl makes good saws for the most part, however for as much as the freaking charge you better get a damn good saw. You need to win the lottery to buy an air filter from them. Go orange! (solid orange that is)

p.s.
We all know girls from Sweden are prettier then German girls anyways.

I don`t think we are all whiners for wanting the best power to weight ratio we can get in a saw. We as humans are God`s greatest creations, and the technology used in some of todays saws like the 372 or 046 is a testament to our own evolution. For saws that weigh in around 14# they are pretty impressive. There`s not much that they won`t handle. Why not want the lightest saw with the highest horsepower and chainspeed with the least vibration? You don`t get paid anymore for working harder, only more productively, and nerve damage from vibration has a very negative effect on lifetime earning capacity doesn`t it?
Russ

I appreciate a lighter saw, which is why I love my Husky 335XPT. I just can't see having those Popeye forearms from holding a heavy saw at limb height on standing trees. A bigger concern though is bar length. I believe most people by too much bar for their needs. The number one cause of kick-back imho is using a bar you can't track the end of in situations that can throw it in your face. Experince surely helps avoid this...but its the less experienced guy limbing with a long bar that needs the hockey mask afterwards.

Sometimes I think bigger saws are safer, since every move is more deliberate. Small saws can be brandished more readily.
Regardless, continued saw use increases reflex action, which may result in bucking someones head off, if they intentionaly sneek up behind you in the woods.
John

I look at it this way I'll use the 260 as much as possible on the ground mainly because they cost less to replace than the 360 or the 460. I'd much rather wear out a 360.00 saw than an 800.00 saw.weight doesnt really play into it unless in climbing or in the bucket.

Latest posts

Back