Are we a bunch of whiners

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i can see Gypo's point, but think that in addition to fatigue, using/ wearing less costly saw; there is a safety factor with a bigger powerhead, that is usually carrying a longer bar. Plenty of power to task is great, but also more power that could be set against you, especially with more leverage, or reach to others.

Definitely go light and small, streamlined, high power in climber's size, i-i-i-i- mean saw!:D

:alien:

A large majority of the folks looking at new saws at my place start picking up saws to determine weight and feel. They are even concerned about weight, before getting down to price.

Many will even buy light weight when, in fact, they should be considering a little more powerful saw.

Weight, power, brand, and price, in that order.

There are a few who are not bothered much by weight, but it is probably only 15 or 20 percent of the buyers.

I suppose if a shop was in a heavily pro market area that the situation might be somewhat reversed.

My customers probably break down; 10% loggers, 25 % commercial (municipalities, etc), and most of the rest firewood cutters and or farmers.

I want a saw that gives me the most power from the lightest weight. Price isnt that much of a issue, but a good dealer is. A lighter more, powerful saw is a more productive piece of equipment.

Hello- you guys need to be thinking about the time when you're 70 years old and retired, and nursing arthritis from all those years of packing a big saw. There's plenty of broken-down old timber fallers around this neck of the woods with bad knees, backs, elbows, and wrists from years of packing a hopped-up Homelite 2100 with a 60" bar. Small saws, yeah buddy- I want to enjoy being an old man.

Hey

JacobJ, I resemble that remark, it's not easy getting old. With the new saws you get anti-vibe, inertia chain break, chain catchers and more HP for less weight. My first saw didn't have that but it was PP'ed for more power, faster meant more take home pay back then, probably still does.

bwalker, the cost is not the issue, so why do the saw companies leave Power Porting to the after market guys and not PP the pro models at the factory? I can see Harry Homeowner out there digging in the dirt faster or felling the tree on his home faster. Maybe it's a safety thing. After all how many times have you seen Harry buy the PPE he should have to go with his purchase of a new saw? Maybe they should up the price to Harry and include the PPE with the saw. That will be the day!

Geofore- I know what you mean. My dad started cutting timber in 1968, just in time to try out some big new McCullochs! My grandpa started falling timber in 1939, still with a whip and axe. My only point was that a man should take advantage of technology as it comes about to save wear and tear on his body. Faster saws do mean more money, but my modified 044 cuts timber ( small timber these days ) much faster than a kart Mac 125 ever did.

tech

It is so nice to have saws with the new stuff on em, my joints don't ache near what they used to with the old saws. There is no compairing the old mac250 (neighbor had me cutting hickory with his saw) I learned to cut with to the new Dolmar7900 I bought this year from Dan. Worlds apart but top of the line saws for their time. I still have a 9' whip in the garage, used to cut firewood in the summer when we visited with my greatgrand mother. I think she let us use greatgrand paps saw to keep us kids busy and out of the house. Lot of memories in that saw (misery whip).

Latest posts

Back