Are we weird?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My buddy's Nitro and Couger Hunter were over last night, we had to take spotlights to the woodlot and fire up every saw I own in the shed, until we were high on 2-stroke smoke. Then I put on a climbing expo for Couger Hunter who had never seen it, then stories were told and beer was drank throughout. Motorcycles also came into play.

Nitro tells me he was on his way home from the bar in his squad car the other night when he spots some down timber in the road, well he grabs his 372 out the trunk and takes care of business. I sure appreciate having friends that appreciate what I'm into, even though they aren't near as hard core 24/7, but they aren't afraid to get their hands dirty.

Women just wouldn't understand.

Nice pics Abohac, like the country, been there.

Yep! That is definitely weird! I'll rep that!

If being weird means that I am self reliant for my own heat in the winter and am in better shape than most men I know, OK. And if it means I havent gotten away from my pioneer roots then I am weird. I can't think of one guy I know that runs a saw regularly that is always calling on someone else to do stuff for him.

It keeps me out of trouble, it isn't unhealthy and I can kick the habit anytime I want to. I choose to heat by fire. I choose to teach my kids this also and let them decide when it is their choice.

+1 well said Kansas. I think it's more pride in doing for ourselves and family the things we as men are able too do. Where I live it's no big deal cause it's always sort of been like this (heating with wood). People in society have gotten used too buying everything delivered. Times were very different just 75 years ago when everyone had chickens, a pig or a cow and a big vegetable garden. We're throwbacks too those times I suppose. :clap:

+1 well said Kansas. I think it's more pride in doing for ourselves and family the things we as men are able too do. Where I live it's no big deal cause it's always sort of been like this (heating with wood). People in society have gotten used too buying everything delivered. Times were very different just 75 years ago when everyone had chickens, a pig or a cow and a big vegetable garden. We're throwbacks too those times I suppose. :clap:

My rooster just crowed at that statement:laugh:

Good point.

Plus, I feel safe in assuming that we're all passionate about firewood and the tools we use to get and make it. Seeing that woodstack grow is just the tangible result of applying your passion to a specific task.

My wife is passionate about needlecrafting and takes great satisfaction as a knitted sweater takes shape, or a piece of 32 count linnen fills up with designs made with all sorts of complex stitches.

The FIL is in the middle of making an ice buggy out of an old 32 Hudson Coupe. Boy, he loves it when anyone takes an interest in his project and notes the progress he's made.

Same deal, just the specifics are different.

If being weird means that I am self reliant for my own heat in the winter and am in better shape than most men I know, OK. And if it means I havent gotten away from my pioneer roots then I am weird. I can't think of one guy I know that runs a saw regularly that is always calling on someone else to do stuff for him.

It keeps me out of trouble, it isn't unhealthy and I can kick the habit anytime I want to. I choose to heat by fire. I choose to teach my kids this also and let them decide when it is their choice.

+1

Well said. The sheeple with which we are surrounded can't be made to understand why we prefer to be as independent as possible. It's not just about saws and wood, it's about freedom too.

Our independance is still limited to the production from an oilfield.

I have a two man saw in the garage just in case, and don't ever want to need it.

I think there is a better name for it its not wierd but smart!! Nothing wrong with doing for yourself and it really seem no different than canning your garden up it was a way of life and one that seem to keep you in tune with the seasons and nature. I think everyone on here is already "green" and didn't even know they we part of the BIG trend!! Our family always puts in a big garden , this year we also raised a pig thats now in the freezer and the last few years I switched to wood for my greenhouse business and couldn't be happier I feel like i'm literally putting money back in my pocket which I am! I can only say this on this site but after the pics you posted I now have wood envy!! HA Good thread irishcountry

I think there is a better name for it its not wierd but smart!! Nothing wrong with doing for yourself and it really seem no different than canning your garden up it was a way of life and one that seem to keep you in tune with the seasons and nature. I think everyone on here is already "green" and didn't even know they we part of the BIG trend!! Our family always puts in a big garden , this year we also raised a pig thats now in the freezer and the last few years I switched to wood for my greenhouse business and couldn't be happier I feel like i'm literally putting money back in my pocket which I am! I can only say this on this site but after the pics you posted I now have wood envy!! HA Good thread irishcountry

I know but it's still a little weird. I get such great oy out of having a pile of wood out there and listening to others b1tch. Makes me feel like I am getting away with something.

I agree with everyone here. I love talking about firewood, trees, saws etc. I am teaching my two girls self reliance and that WE can take care of ourselves and are not dependent on others to keep us warm at night.

Some of my favorites lines from my 2 and 4 year olds are "That's a big pile of wood, Daddy" or "Stop the car, mom, there is a down tree, call dad to come with his saw!"

Yesterday my 4 year old was carrying pieces of elm that I had split to the wood pile. I was so proud of her and I doubt anyone but you guys here would understand why.

Good stories, I am hoping my daughter will take on the self reliance approach she is a big helper already she loved taking food out to the pig (named her bacon on purpose!!), she planted her own garden that we named Madison square garden since its a raised bed and her name is Madison which she was very proud of she wanted to pick all the stuff out of HER garden first ripe or not!! My older boys got a new appreciation for work this summer helping with wood not their favorite job but they did work hard!! I grew up on stories of my parents growing up in Ky. and all the things they did as a family to get through the season up in the holler (sp?) they all were pretty self reliant and I don't think that is such a bad way of life. Hard work is hard and maybe that is what will keep us all trucking longer than some we are after all machines that benefit from moving at least until we really can't!! Keep the stories coming I can appreciate seeing trees down and thinking or saying in the car "What a shame there just laying there they could be some nice lumber or firewood just rotting!" my wife has heard it alot!

Man, nothing beats coming in from the cold and sitting down in front of the wood stove. The heat just feels sooooooo good. My father-in-law used to say nothing beats being warmed twice by the same wood, the first time cutting, splitting and stacking. The second time burning. Just being out in the woods cutting and taking the time to view the handiwork of the creator is a feeling I never want to lose. Crazy, maybe. Warm, definitely. I love the sound of my saws and get real pleasure out of splitting wood. It is one of the things my wife and I love doing together, we look forward to getting the wood pile ready and don't know how or why people want to give that much money to the gas company. Some folks I know pay upwards of $300.00 to $400.00 or more for heating bills. That's just down right absurd.
:greenchainsaw:

I've got to question myself (actually my wife does most of it), I think I along with a bunch of you guys are a little weird.

I wood have to agree, so does my spouse. This past weekend I did some work and now can even admire my stove when on the road or away from the house. I have a CCTV camera connected to an encoder video server that senses motion (driveway) and will upload a series of pictures to an FTP server, get an email notification on the Blackberry, click on a link and then open in the BB's Web browser. Love my Blackberry even more now, but I do feel a little weird !!

bb_600.jpg

camera.jpg

Last edited:
I wood have to agree, so does my spouse. This past weekend I did some work and now can even admire my stove when on the road or away from the house. I have a CCTV camera connected to an encoder video server that senses motion (driveway) and will upload a series of pictures to an FTP server, get an email notification on the Blackberry, click on a link and then open in the BB's Web browser. Love my Blackberry even more now, but I do feel a little weird !!

bb_600.jpg

camera.jpg

Cool

Man, nothing beats coming in from the cold and sitting down in front of the wood stove. The heat just feels sooooooo good. My father-in-law used to say nothing beats being warmed twice by the same wood, the first time cutting, splitting and stacking. The second time burning. Just being out in the woods cutting and taking the time to view the handiwork of the creator is a feeling I never want to lose. Crazy, maybe. Warm, definitely. I love the sound of my saws and get real pleasure out of splitting wood. It is one of the things my wife and I love doing together, we look forward to getting the wood pile ready and don't know how or why people want to give that much money to the gas company. Some folks I know pay upwards of $300.00 to $400.00 or more for heating bills. That's just down right absurd.
:greenchainsaw:
THATS CHEAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ive heard of a lot higher per month here in iowa!!!!! ive heard as high as 900.00!!!!!! now thats insane-----

Latest posts

Back