Are we weird?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got to question myself (actually my wife does most of it), I think I along with a bunch of you guys are a little weird. Did you ever think that you would be looking on a website that was pretty much dedicated to cutting wood and chainsaws and other firewood or logging stuff (at least that's what I look for)? I feel a little more at ease knowing that there are other weirdo's out there looking at piles of wood and making a comment (like nice wood). Gotta admit, we ain't right!.

my wife was nearly ready to commit me until i showed her this site and Mike Acres' Chainsaw Collector's Corner . . .now she just thinks i'm strange not a danger to society

Abohac.. looks like you do a little farming on the side....
and I believe AOD posted .. "every dollar saved is another dollar for beer" well in your case its a dollar for tuition.
Have you ever ran into those who think that their food comes from the grocery store? and have no idea it comes from farms? if thats the case then why do I have 125,000 chickens out back now?:dizzy:

Abohac.. looks like you do a little farming on the side....
and I believe AOD posted .. "every dollar saved is another dollar for beer" well in your case its a dollar for tuition.
Have you ever ran into those who think that their food comes from the grocery store? and have no idea it comes from farms? if thats the case then why do I have 125,000 chickens out back now?:dizzy:

Yes I run into those quacks all the time. I'm proud of what I do. I like to farm and cut wood (I have one other job that takes quite a bit of my time also). Isn't farming cool? It's better than sex 'cause it lasts longer!

weird is not so bad in this context, kida like ha ha funny and funny ha ha!
It is a perspective and depends on status Que. I know some folks think me
weird but so far, I have managed to stay outta a padded room, of course;
they have not seen me walking around my forty acres in my underwear lately either lol. Sometimes it takes too long to put on clothes just to go put the saw back in the shed ya left out before falling asleep:laugh:

Last edited:
Boy, what a bunch of wierdo's I've fallen in with :dizzy: :) Honestly though, I don't find it the least bit 'wierd' There's a forum on the web for just about every possible hobby,activity, or job you can think of. Not many of them give the satisfaction of a lotta WOOD though! :clap:

I was mighty glad to find this forum of like minded people.....
I don't call any of it weird....

I like being able to save money, and don't mind a little hard work
to get to where we need to be.

I keep telling the hubby we have a budget, and we need to stick to it.
Heating with wood is going to be a big part of us saving money now, and for many future years :)

Yeah, wood is just something you have to be into to understand, and most people don't. I go check on all my wood piles every day; the ones that are split and stacked, ones ready to be split and stacked, my log deck, standing trees that I'll be falling this winter. I don't know why I do this, but it doesn't hurt anyone so I don't care. Its quite relaxing, you can almost stop thinking just staring at a wood pile- the way the wood just repeats itself through the pile. My favorite thing about my wood piles is that I know I'll be warm this winter- as long as I can fire the stove. If you don't like sitting next to a howling wood fire on a cold night then you are missing out on a good feeling.
I'm going to fire up my buddy soon (I call my stove my buddy.) Its the only thing between me and the cold so I can't wait.

When I wander out at first light to admire the results of hard work, the coffee cup just doesn't seem deep enough or keep the contents hot enough to last through the gazing.

After some intermittant splitting/stacking/moving today, amounting to another cord under roof, and a trailer with 1/2cord waiting to be stacked, I was resting my limbs in the house and could see the full trailer, and thought, " it'll only take another 30 mins, there's still enough light, I won't be that much more tired, right?"
Decided against it, one more day like today and the covered storage will be filled with 15 cords of split wood.

The back field is another matter altogether different though, I walk out there and wonder where to start. Logs...large and small, rounds to split or stack off the ground, splits to stack, bark to rake up, junk and brush all piled to burn after the beans are harvested. It's not a coffee pot of work, oh no, much more like a kegger's worth.

Then all the trees to be harvested at various permitted properties, oh my, so much wood, and shorter daylight each day.....:dizzy:

Nah, I ain't weerd.

When I wander out at first light to admire the results of hard work, the coffee cup just doesn't seem deep enough or keep the contents hot enough to last through the gazing.

Then all the trees to be harvested at various permitted properties, oh my, so much wood, and shorter daylight each day.....:dizzy:

Nah, I ain't weerd.

Have you considered taking the pot ?

I miss coffee by the pot.

Its only a 4cup pot, works out well.

Put the kids to bed, and had to go out to check my math, one covered stack is 9cords, the other covered stack is 8cords. So that equals 17 and add the 3 stacked out back and I've reached my goal, 20 stacked cords before the first snow. Uh-oh, hope that doesn't jinx it.

Guess I can put the splitter away until spring then right? Silly thought isn't it. Then we'd all know how much wood a wdchuck could split if a wdchuck could split wood. Can't make it that easy.:monkey:

Back