Are you certified?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KentuckySawyer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm curious how many people here are certified arborists.

I am not, but consider it occasionally. I haven't lost a customer yet because of it (that I know of). Usually my customers are convinced (i.e. brainwashed) of my knowledge after talking with me.

What is the cost vs. benefit?

I am. a few of the cities near here require certified for tree hazard reports and removal permit applications. if I didnt have it I couldnt do that work. I do a couple a month at $150 or so a piece so I think it pays for itself easily. My cost is $40 for PNW chapter and $105 for ISA dues, thats US bucks for me as a canuck so its about $175 or so after exchange

I have not certified yet, though I too play with the idea. It may have effected a few budding relationships with potential subcontract clients but not much. I can usaully convince the professional that I have the minimal required knowledge.

IMO the majority of the public is not aware of the organization or the credentials.

No-not certified. IF I were seeking to work in arboriculture as an employee I would spend the time and money on certification. The public isn't concerned with it. I have a good reputation and enjoy the recommendation of the local nursery (which is actually a LOT more imformed and competent than most) If some one does inquire about credentials they ask about being licensed. The local city licensing program asks questions that should guarantee a minimum competency level-but it doesn't work. People learn the answers and then take their license and go out and lionstail and top anyway. :rolleyes:

I'm a state certified arborist -- Massachusetts -- but my biggest obstacle is being uninsured. Having no liability insurance is a WAY bigger hindrance in getting jobs than not being certified, still, as a weekend "hack" I still have more work than I can handle (through word-of-mouth).

I never (okay, rarely) bid on jobs I can't handle safely, and I always maintain a look of professionalism on site, and follow as closely as possible all standards applicable to arboriculture, especially safety standards.

Though with my slightly lower prices, I take work away from other tree companies, in the long haul the better tree companies benefit because I only recommend to clients the quality, top notch, companies to service them on jobs I can't handle.

Those of you who are wondering why I don't carry liability insurance -- two words: New York.

Certified at present, looking at Master certification now, wondering though if that just means an increase in fees? Still will go through with it though. :blob2:

Not cerified, I dont think I ever will be because I work for myself doing tree work part time on the side. I think part of getting certified you have to have documentation of climbing for a licenced tree service for a set amount of time, correct me if I'm wrong.
I think getting your EHAP training is a must !! I have checked into this and will be attending this training around february.
I would like to get my hands on some good training videos.

I'm certified. It helps as a sales tool to give credibility and enhance the customers trust in your ability. Once you've worked for them they know what you can do.......Certification gives you the foot in the door sometimes.

Mike. yup yer right. I guess my actual cost to certify then. hmm. $160 canadian bucks for the cert guide, $250 for a "prep" course and then $125US (plus the $125US membership dues) prolly near $1000 canadian bucks, I picked up a couple few ID books and some other arbo reference boks prior to taking the test. oh, and I had to rewrite the cabling section. cost me a 1 1/2 hour ferry trip ($50 each way), night at a B&B and $15 or $20 to actually write the 4 minute retake (what it actually took me to rewrite the section), not to mention the day and a half of work that I missed out on. but i still figure its worth it in the long run for me.

an email that made it my way today sent me a link from some job board that I must have signed up for once: http://agri-labourpool.com/jobseekers/postings/landscaperhorticulturistarborist/8503.html

I finally certified because the credential is gaining ground here, and I decided to support the ISA. They are not perfect, but they do put forth effort for the industry.

Even since 1986 or so, I had enough education for my landscape tech college classes to pass the ISA exam any time I wanted too, but didn't do it until recently.

I did learn more by reviewing to take the exam. Reviews always bring education.

Also, I noticed that the ISA "beefed" up it's material in the past 20 years. I was not highly impressed 20 years ago, but I think it's a fairly respectable credential right now.

xander9727 said:
I'm certified. It helps as a sales tool to give credibility and enhance the customers trust in your ability. Once you've worked for them they know what you can do.......Certification gives you the foot in the door sometimes.

Amen to that.

Even if it just gets the foot in a few doors sales wise, it is easily worth thousands. Customers don't know what a minimum cert it is. I has been the deciding factor for me on several jobs where the customers were on the fence.

I carry the ISA Cert, 2 German certs, and a BS in Forest Science. Does it make me a better climber or pruner?? Nope, it simply gives me a lot of credibility over the competition. ;)

Certified and coming up for my 4th renewal. Not having one would not hinder me from getting jobs. I just got one because it sounded good. I know some certified arborists that do very marginal work, and some not certified who do very good work.

I'm not certified right now and I will get it this next year. All the other arborists here and referals talk of me up as a master pruner, I like that and I'll still go for the ISA certification for arborist and climber.

Jack

tinman44 said:
not certified. although i will look into it someday but need more experience. speaking of that does anyone know what the costs on the arbormaster 2 day courses are? www.arbormaster.com they i hear are very very good.
anyone? i would like to go to these classes but want to know prices they are not listed which makes me believe salesmen set the prices :dizzy:

ACRT basic arborist training has a week long deal for 720.00. I looked for Arbormaster prices but you gotta call them to get pricing. I went to ACRT back when it was 600.00 and feel I got my moneys worth. They had you climbing up in a tree the 1st afternoon. Plus its in the state next door to ya!
Oy yeah, I'm certyfyed too. I did get me a couple of jobs that I would'nt have gotten other wise.

Last edited:
Not certified. JimmyQ points out most of the reasons for my not having done it; costs above and beyond the fee to take the test, travel expenses and especially the lost income from the day or two gone from work.

TreeCo points out another reason why I haven't - it's easy. For me there's nothing to prove, no challenge to going and taking a test that I know I can pass. There's no payoff for me personally as I have never had a client ask about certification and I do strictly residential work.

If I were moving to Hawaii and I was applying for a job with Koa Man, I would definitely become certified. If any part of my current job required it, I would do it. For now, I feel time spent in learning and advancing myself in this industry is in the exchanges and reading that go on here at arboristsite.com

Yes, certified and quite surprised some of you guys are not. One of the better things I have done in life. At first, I did not think it was needed but it has helped me in many ways.

You'll make more money......get more chicks.....be able to read minds and see through walls......it may be the greatest accomplishment a person can make in their life.

Latest posts

Back