Are you certified?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nevermind, I just checked. I can't die. My cert expired since I have been gone.

I didn't turn in my CEUs. Oh well. Guess I will just have to settle for a university degree, passing the ISA CA exam, 7 years of experience in 3 countries and 2 continients, 2 climbing certifications, a chainsaw certification.....

I am aiming at the European Tree Worker cert now. The ISA cert is really not recognized here. It is not respected anyway...

I'll spend the $$ and get the ISA cert again when/if I move back to the states.

Isa

Speaking of certification-me, taking the test at the end of this month! Why is it that if you join the ISA anytime other than Jan. they still expect you to renew come the beginning of the new year? It was a surprise to me :angry:

Actually it was, the exam involved rigging the top off a large linden (basswood??). Hard to remind myself to ALWAYS use 2 hands and the chainbrake.

The certs here are silly but $1.3million liability and workers comp costs me $250 a year!!

TheSurgeon said:
Why is it that if you join the ISA anytime other than Jan. they still expect you to renew come the beginning of the new year? It was a surprise to me :angry:

Almost makes you feel like it is a money grab huh?? :p

Treetx

ok. That sounds more like rigging certification. Anyways, if it saves you money in the long run, it can't be that bad :cool:

I've wondered the same thing about the Jan. dues, doesn't make much sense. Guess they get more $$ and it's probably a lot easier to keep track of everything when everyone expires at the same time. I saw some work experience questioned in another thread last week, and I'm kinda unclear - what all do you have to do/have to be certified other than passing the test??

bottlefed89 said:
I've wondered the same thing about the Jan. dues, doesn't make much sense. Guess they get more $$ and it's probably a lot easier to keep track of everything when everyone expires at the same time. I saw some work experience questioned in another thread last week, and I'm kinda unclear - what all do you have to do/have to be certified other than passing the test??

I've been thinking about certification for awhile now. and after reading this thread and the comments about getting your foot in the door that you might other wise miss ... is good enough reason for me.

How do you get started? :)

ISA cert. is a far cry from what it used to be, if you ever met a low cert. number arborist you will know what I am talking about. The old test comprised of three components: the written exam, the interview/broad exam, and the field exam. The written exam I believe consisted of essay questions, the interview took place in a room full of arborists who fired questions at you, and the field exam took place outdoors one on one with an arborist. These days I believe the test is more of a money maker for the ISA than a prestigious title.

I live in maine. Here, you need to be certified by the state to engage in Arboriculture for hire--and certification is not complete until presenting proof of insurance. I currently work for a landscape company, supervising the tree work crew--no certifications, Including my boss {the company owner}.
I plan to go it on my own soon after passing state certification and my own insurance.
It really surprised me how many of you guys are not certified nor carry insurance--the costs seem so marginal considering the benefits and the liability if/when somthing goes wrong.

round here its getting more and more difficult for those who aint cewrtfied to do work. this one bloke, who shall remain nameless, took down this cherry tree in some ones front garden, it was f**ked, you could see light through the bark on some of the top branches, it needed sorting out there and then which he did, but the tree had a tpo onit and one of the neighbours complained. now this bloke has been doing tree work for 6-7 years and knows his stuff but because he dosn't have his bits of paper he's probably gonna get screwed for 20K. if he was qualified he would just be able to stand up in court and and say ' my professional opinion that tree needed removing imeadiatly' but coz he aint got his papers he dont a have a leg to stand on.

are you guy's who are not 'ISA CERTIFIED' certified/qualified via another source?? or do you work without any certified training..ie can you learn to climb ,buy a saw and 'hey presto' your an arborist ??

overhere you need a minimum of two week's training with assesment's at the end ,before you can use a saw or climb a tree commercialy ,most arborists overhere take a number of differant courses to become an arborist ie diplomas ,HND ,city & guilds,arb degree's,there are lot's of differant courses offering all types of qualifacations ,for practical work 99.9 British tree surgeons opt for NATIONAL PROFICIENTCY TEST COUNCILthough these courses do not teach the student tree bioligy or pest and disease etc..

tom i didnt think a tpo could be put on a fruit tree, i bet the council won't take him to court even if the tree does have a tpo

fruity trees can be protected if the tree officer decides to protect it ,they will take him to court ,best he can do is contact council and householder and hope they agree to a replacement tree or trees

ahh just checked fruit tree's can have TPOs on them ,though usualy only under extreme circumstances ,the fruit tree must have a significent ameinity value ,councils very rarely prosecute down here ,if they did they would need a whole department asigned to tree prosecution's ,i bet TOMS tree was in a conservation area ,i doubt the tree had a TPO

Tom D. Wilson said:
round here its getting more and more difficult for those who aint cewrtfied to do work. this one bloke, who shall remain nameless, took down this cherry tree in some ones front garden, it was f**ked, you could see light through the bark on some of the top branches, it needed sorting out there and then which he did, but the tree had a tpo onit and one of the neighbours complained. now this bloke has been doing tree work for 6-7 years and knows his stuff but because he dosn't have his bits of paper he's probably gonna get screwed for 20K. if he was qualified he would just be able to stand up in court and and say ' my professional opinion that tree needed removing imeadiatly' but coz he aint got his papers he dont a have a leg to stand on.

Tpo exemptions (dead dying and dangerous)

" in deciding whether trees have become dangerous the court adopt the sensible approach of a prudent citizen; there must be a present danger which need not be limited to disease or damage to the trees themselves.the threatened danger does not actually have to have occured; it is sufficent to find that, by virtue of the state of the trees their size, their position and such effect as any of those factors have, one can properly conclude that the trees have become dangerous, the court will look at what is likely to happen "

hope that helps

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back