Are you kidding me ??? Definately what NOT to do !!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the woods there is no law of averages. Simply put, people don't survive logging by being stupid or not knowing what they're doing. That being said even smart logger is at risk. People who don't understand why he's cutting like this judging him is pretty silly. Like the way he does it or not you're not the saw mill writing his check. People reaming a guy who knows what he's doing rather than pointing out some of the hideous stumps that are posted in this forum. Makes a lot of sense.

In the woods there is no law of averages. Simply put, people don't survive logging by being stupid or not knowing what they're doing. That being said even smart logger is at risk. People who don't understand why he's cutting like this judging him is pretty silly. Like the way he does it or not you're not the saw mill writing his check. People reaming a guy who knows what he's doing rather than pointing out some of the hideous stumps that are posted in this forum. Makes a lot of sense.
The man is 100% profesional END OF STORY

People who don't understand why he's cutting like this judging him is pretty silly. Like the way he does it or not you're not the saw mill writing his check. People reaming a guy who knows what he's doing rather than pointing out some of the hideous stumps that are posted in this forum. Makes a lot of sense.

Unless, of course, we end up paying welfare for him and his dependents if he is crippled or killed - the saw mill ain't gonna do that because he is an 'independent contractor'.
Unless, of course, the rest of us end up being subject to additional regulations or restrictions because of guys like him.
Unless, of course, he doesn't know what he is doing, but posts videos for others to see and cut like him; exposing/encouraging others.
Unless, of course, this is a forum for folks who are interested to discuss techniques, etc.

He had no control of that tree. Just because he has done it before, and video taped it, does not mean that he is a professional.

Philbert

Unless, of course, we end up paying welfare for him and his dependents if he is crippled or killed - the saw mill ain't gonna do that because he is an 'independent contractor'.
Unless, of course, the rest of us end up being subject to additional regulations or restrictions because of guys like him.
Unless, of course, he doesn't know what he is doing, but posts videos for others to see and cut like him; exposing/encouraging others.
Unless, of course, this is a forum for folks who are interested to discuss techniques, etc.

He had no control of that tree. Just because he has done it before, and video taped it, does not mean that he is a professional.

Philbert
Have you seen many pros cut like that?

Not in my neighborhood.
Well then there it is, not seen on the West coast and not on the East coast. ;) The last guy that brought up a jump cut looked like a criminal was wearing a nylon stocking on his head wanted a job I gave him a card so he would leave . Next day detectives called me because they found the card in his motel room and asked me what I knew about him, he was wanted for what they would not say.

That background looks a lot like he's in my area. There just happens to be a logging company in the next town over that matches his screen name.

The thing I didn't like about the cut was the fact that there was no real control. I understand wanting to save out as much wood as possible and I think that's what he was trying to do. He didn't want to 'chair the tree and he didn't want it to slab out but there are other ways to accomplish that besides using that suicide cut.
Somebody taught him wrong and he's probably never been exposed to any alternative methods. He needs some schooling. Soon, too.
In the F&L forum we have quite a few guys who cut hardwoods for veneer. They don't cut like the guy in the video and they're very tuned in to saving every inch of wood that they can. Bitzer, Treeslayer2003, and a few others I'll probably catch hell for forgetting to mention, could teach that guy something. If he was willing to learn.

Grabbing the bar with the motor running still makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up though.

Philbert
Now he is profesional and the other videos he is not ?

The thing I didn't like about the cut was the fact that there was no real control. I understand wanting to save out as much wood as possible and I think that's what he was trying to do. He didn't want to 'chair the tree and he didn't want it to slab out but there are other ways to accomplish that besides using that suicide cut.
Somebody taught him wrong and he's probably never been exposed to any alternative methods. He needs some schooling. Soon, too.
In the F&L forum we have quite a few guys who cut hardwoods for veneer. They don't cut like the guy in the video and they're very tuned in to saving every inch of wood that they can. Bitzer, Treeslayer2003, and a few others I'll probably catch hell for forgetting to mention, could teach that guy something. If he was willing to learn.

Grabbing the bar with the motor running still makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up though.
All he had to do was read the Husky owners manual and they would show him the proper technique.

We will need handsome mike (treeslayer) to walk us thru all this. It couldn't be any more in his wheelhouse if it tried.

here is in another video dont seem to me like someone who is stupid

I've seen the good French Capitaine fall pretty much the same way, and he is a seasoned professional. (Referring to the technique of starting the backcut from the face, not the domino)

I just saw this thread and I have to say I winced while watching the first clip. I'm a production logger for a mill out of Cortland county and I cut hard wood every day, all day. I don't claim to know it all or be better than anyone at anything but as Gologit said, there was NO control over that tree. I always try to learn new and safer methods but I can't see ANY application where sawing right through a tree with no notch or hinge is acceptable.

Back