Are you ready for the COLD weather coming?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Coldfront

Coldfront

Addicted to ArboristSite
-22 last night, -1 for the high today and then repeat until Saturday.:cry:
The Taylor is chowing wood like no tomorrow and I'm real glad I cut like crazy before this hit because today would NOT be a good day to cut wood. I don't know how you guys up north can keep up with wood usage at -40 for weeks on end. I suppose your houses are much better insulated than mine is.

I'm not that far from you but that is why I buy a 10 cord loggers truck load every year of 8 footers mostly Red Oak, White Oak, and Ash, and have it cut up and split by October. It was -27° this morning and was 78° inside my house. Although I have a in the basement wood furnace I had to get up at midnight and 3:30am to stoke it up, the fire box is only about 19" X 17" X 17"high. a little more work but it keeps the house toasty warm, I even had to open the bedroom window a crack last night it got so damn hot in there. Under normal temps. I get a all night burn, but when it's this cold I have to let it rip a little bit. One thing that is funny up north here is when it gets back up to like the 20°'s people are out in tee shirts and shorts.

Last edited:
Biker Dude

Biker Dude

Addicted to ArboristSite
-25 this morning when I loaded the Taylor and I had very few coals left. I got 7.5 hours on a packed load. Not too bad considering the temp. and wind chill.

I love your log pile Coldfront and I have though about buying a semi-load of logs but it was around $1000 per load and I would need 2 loads to get through the winter. 2 grand is still cheaper than heating with LP but not by much. OWBs burn through twice the wood that indoor furnaces do so if I want cheap heat I have to harvest the wood myself. How dry is that oak? do you split it in the spring and then season it all summer?

Coldfront

Coldfront

Addicted to ArboristSite
Actually the load I got was sitting stacked in 8 foot length for 2 years. I cut and split it all in Sept. & early Oct. The Ash was premo ready to go, the red oak is still a little green even after 2 years sitting in 8 foot, but so far I have had no problem burning any of it. I wish I was a year ahead with my wood but that's the way it goes. I hope to start on a new load early in the spring so at least it has 7 or 8 months to season. I'm lucky I get a 10 cord log truck load for $300 for that price it is not worth going and cutting it myself.

Biker Dude

Biker Dude

Addicted to ArboristSite
$300 a load?:jawdrop:

You should hook me up with your seller. You are right, at $300 for 10 cord it's cheaper to buy than it is to cut, especially if it's oak.

November Wolf

November Wolf

ArboristSite Operative
I just went out and checked mine and it was perfectly quiet, no wind, smoke rising straight up into the sky and the coals in the Taylor were just beautiful.
attachment.php

I shut off the flashlight for a moment and sat down on a log to enjoy the evening. It's moments like those that make me glad I heat with wood.

And then the wind picked up and ruined the whole thing!:mad:

Nice picture. That would make a great screensaver.

John D

John D

Addicted to ArboristSite
Just got in from filling the Shaver 250.Its keeping up for now,its -4 here. I loaded 3x today,6am,2 pm and 10pm.I gave it a 3/4 load this am,2 logs at 2,and filled it 90% full tonight.I cant say I'm surprised at the amount if wood,since its so cold.House is 71 right now.

Biker Dude

Biker Dude

Addicted to ArboristSite
-21 just now when I filled the Taylor for the night. House has been at 69-70 deg. for the last 2 days, normally 74 deg. and water temp in the OWB is at 140, normally 160-170 and the draft fan probably hasn't shut off for the last 2 days. It's a good thing the cold front is going to break tomorrow so I can let the stove burn down and give it a good cleaning. I generated half a wheelbarrow full of ash in the last 4 days!

November Wolf said:
Nice picture. That would make a great screensaver.
Thanks for the idea, it does!

Last edited:
John D

John D

Addicted to ArboristSite
TWC said it would be 13 here last night,I woke up to -3 below zero. The Shavers been keeping up just fine.Its been too cold to cut wood,and drag dead stuff out,i gotta get more wood,its becoming an obsession.:chainsaw: