Are you sensitive to Walnut sawdust, leaves, or "juices"?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdqdl

Old enough to know better.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I don't consider that a few allergic people on a woodworking website qualifies walnut as a dermally dangerous tree.

I personally don't have any problems working with walnut, and do not find them to be even slightly irritating.

Do any of you guys that actually get covered with walnut sawdust ever experience skin irritation from them?

Respiratory problems?
Yes I do, my climber does and other people I talked to do. Also, a guy who builds furniture I know got it in his lungs, and it irritated them. Take my word for it.

How Common Is Black Walnut Toxicity in Horses?​

Black walnut toxicity is relatively rare in horses. However, if these trees are in a pasture where horses are, or in nearby areas, horses can easily pick up nuts or leaves. The toxin is most concentrated in the nut hulls, which can fall from the trees and pollute the surrounding area. Horses that consume feed, hay, or water contaminated with these substances can also become ill.

Black walnut shavings are sometimes used in bedding, which can be another source of danger; it’s important to evaluate the label on any new type of shavings you’ll be using to avoid this ingredient. If black walnuts shavings make up as little as 5% of the total bedding, that can be enough to cause a toxic event in some horses.

Symptoms of Black Walnut Toxicity in Horses​

The symptoms of black walnut toxicity can vary depending on the amount of juglone ingested and the horse's sensitivity to the chemical. Symptoms can appear within a few hours to a few days after exposure and can include:

If left untreated, black walnut toxicity can be fatal. Horses that show any of the above symptoms should be seen by a veterinarian immediately.

Yes I do, my climber does and other people I talked to do. Also, a guy who builds furniture I know got it in his lungs, and it irritated them. Take my word for it.
Yes, I do, too. I made the mistake one year of taking down and chopping up a mid-size 10-12 year old black walnut in early summer while wearing shorts and hiking boots. Apart from stupidity of using a chainsaw without proper safety gear, I also filled up the tops of my boots with sawdust which resulted in a 3” band of chemical burns around both ankles that took about six weeks to heal up. It was nasty. The juglone in the sap can be fairly irritating and toxic to some.

I have run into this with cabinetry and even gunstocks, believe it or not. The reactions aren't predictable from person to person. Some woods are outright irritants, some will cause sensitivity over time. There are also woods that act as sensitizers, which will make you allergic to other woods. It's frustrating.
THIS CHART is targeted more towards woodworkers but it gives you an idea.

I have run into this with cabinetry and even gunstocks, believe it or not. The reactions aren't predictable from person to person. Some woods are outright irritants, some will cause sensitivity over time. There are also woods that act as sensitizers, which will make you allergic to other woods. It's frustrating.
THIS CHART is targeted more towards woodworkers but it gives you an idea.

That's kind of funny. All the exotic woods I've ever used seem to have 4 stars, a few had but 3.

As with most irritating plants, I never noticed anything toxic while I was woodworking. Padouk, Pau Ferro, Mahogany, Macassar Ebony, Rosewood... even eastern red cedar. They all seem to score rather high on the list.

BTW: If you ever want to have a marvelously strong, hard wood that is easy to work: Pau Ferro. I used to make nightsticks for some police friends with that wood. It's amazingly hard, practically dent-proof and scratch free until you hit steel or rock with it.

Latest posts

Back