ascenders for steel core flip lines

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kf_tree

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
i've used a gibbs for about 2 years the spring broke in a few months but it still held fine. i switched to a petzl a few months ago and now the cable that acts as a spring/ cam keeper is now starting to fray. what gives? who makes a cam that lasts with the abuse of tree work.

USE A 1/16" stainless steel cable to replace the one on the petzl cender. cut it 3.25 inches long.

I got this info from the papaerwork that came with my cender. you should be able to pick the cable up from any hardware store.

I.ve been told that the cable from bicycle shifters and brakes is the same as in the Petzl ascenders. Look for old bikes on trash day. Cut yourself a lifetime's supply with sharp side cutters.

Tom

Beaver snare wire is also 1/16" but there are proper cable cutters for cutting this cable so the ends don`t fray.

ROTFLMAO! you must have dropped your tape measure and jumbled up the numbers again. I bought my microcender about 4 weeks ago. The cable IS 1/16" and the hole for the cable is barely 1/8". The paperwork that came with my cender states 1/16" cable. :D

Well then , what model do you have ? Mine is 1/2" - 3/4" with a bolt not a pin . I am also looking at my spare cables that came with it and they ARE 1/8" in diameter . Mabey you have a different model

has any one ever tried this ascender fo a flip line?http://www.ushba.com/catalog/access.html#basic its the basic ascender. they say its for lines up to 12mm, but if i can't sqeeze my half in flip line in it i'll use it for ice climbing. i read on a site that a sring broke in one of there ascenders(it didn't realy effect the saftey but the owner personaly called the customer and said thats the second time they heard of one breaking so they were redesigning the spring. now thats a company that stands behind its products.

The Ushba ascender would not be a good choice for a lanyard. When the U is used, it doesn't grab all of the slack at each move up the rope. The rope bends and that little bit isn't captured.

I've posted the link to Gary Storrick's page before, here it is again:http://storrick.cnchost.com/VerticalDevicesPage/VerticalHome.shtml

Anyone who uses ropes should take the time to read through his site and all of the discussion forums. there is a wealth of information there. IF the subject is rope ascent or descent, the answer is on the site.

Use a friction hitch or a large Gibbs for the steel core.

The first one to find Jerry B's tool on Gary's page wins a prize. Describe the tool and where on the page you found the referance.

Tom

Tom,
Would that be the Baranek Lowering Device listed in the "Coming Soon" section?

Excellent site BTW. Thanks for the link.:blob2:

thanks for posting that link. i had it in my favorites, but my pc crashed big time and i lost every thing getting it up and running again. that guy has some collection of gear.

Treeman 14,

You win! When we get together at TCI in Milwaukee or maybe you'll be at ISA in Montreal, I'll stand you a beer.

I agree, that is one of the most informative sites for rope workers to know about. There is more information about some gear at Gary's site than some of the manufactuers.

Tom

Back