Ash Borer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
reaperman

reaperman

ArboristSite Guru
Without doing a prior search on ash borer, I have a quick question to those who have experience with it. Yesterday I strolled through the woods and noticed many of the green ash trees are very sparsley leaved, and many trees have no leaves yet at all. I know its somewhat early in the growing season but all of my oaks are fully leaved and it seems they are usually last to bloom. But I havent really paid attention in the past years. Are green ash late bloomers or do I have to worry about loosing some to disease? I didnt take time to closely inspect the trees because the *&#@$$# mosquitos were having me for their main coarse.:angry2:

I havent heard of Emerald ash borer in Minnesota, but now I wonder. Thanks

Last edited:
newby79

newby79

ArboristSite Member
Look for little d shaped holes in the bark, they will only be about and 1/8 inch or so big. But what you are describing is happening alot around here and I am afraid to say it probably is the EMB.

Brushwacker

Brushwacker

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Without doing a prior search on ash borer, I have a quick question to those who have experience with it. Yesterday I strolled through the woods and noticed many of the green ash trees are very sparsley leaved, and many trees have no leaves yet at all. I know its somewhat early in the growing season but all of my oaks are fully leaved and it seems they are usually last. But I havent really paid attention in the past years. Are green ash late bloomers of do I have to worry about loosing some to disease? I didnt take time to closely inspect the trees because the *&#@$$# mosquitos were having me for their main coarse.:angry2:

I havent heard of Emerald ash borer in Minnesota, but now I wonder. Thanks

You probably have a state forester for your district that would look at them free and determine their status.

KsWoodsMan

KsWoodsMan

Addicted to ArboristSite
The Ash trees in this area are already dropping seeds. The leaves are filled out completely along with the oaks.
The holes ( like mentioned before) are "D" shaped but the D is on it's back.
I took in a bunch of firewood from Western Kansas one year that was infested with them. When they came out, a little earlier in the year, they crawled around like a spider but flew like a paper wasp with about the same shape.

You can bet that pile of wood got burned immediately to minimise damages to other's trees but it was too late to get them all. They will attack other types of trees. They came out of Hackberry and I have noticed a few holes in my Pecan trees. The few ash trees around here seem to be holding up well.

Last edited:
reaperman

reaperman

ArboristSite Guru
I went out for a better look tonight. I did find "some" holes in some of the trees, they appeared to be more circular than D-shaped. But they were small, 1/8" or so. The trees in question should be in the prime of their life, they are between 12 and 18" in diameter and 50-60' tall.

I know the trees seemed healthy last fall because being a wood burner, I keep a close eye on which trees need to be cut up in the winter for firewood. After all, we depend on trees dying each year to meet our demand for firewood. But at the same time, we appreciate the living trees and dont want to see a epidemic roll through and kill them all.

I will get a hold of the local forester and see if he can come take a look. I have about 10 acres of ash trees along the creek bottom, so there are quite a few trees that could be in question. Not to mention the neighboring lands. Thanks for the advice

habanero

habanero

ArboristSite Guru
... They will attack other types of trees. They came out of Hackberry and I have noticed a few holes in my Pecan trees. The few ash trees around here seem to be holding up well.

That contradicts the information put out by the USDA. Everything I've read says they only eat ash trees. Back home in Iowa we had a little beetle that would get in the hackberry trees that looks somewhat similar to the ash borer, but it was a different bug.

Also, there are no reports of the EAB being even as far south and west as Missouri, so I find it odd they'd have made it all the way to western Kansas without someone noticing along the way.

Deadman

Deadman

ArboristSite Operative
I'm in WI, and all my healthy Ash trees have NO leaves on them yet. they're ALWAYS the last trees to get their leaves. Don't sweat it, give them a few weeks. I'm like 40 miles North of Green Bay as far as location, so if you are north of me, then its gonna be a while yet!

KsWoodsMan

KsWoodsMan

Addicted to ArboristSite
That contradicts the information put out by the USDA. Everything I've read says they only eat ash trees. Back home in Iowa we had a little beetle that would get in the hackberry trees that looks somewhat similar to the ash borer, but it was a different bug.

Also, there are no reports of the EAB being even as far south and west as Missouri, so I find it odd they'd have made it all the way to western Kansas without someone noticing along the way.

Emerald Ash borer.
eabadult.jpg

This was not what was infesting the hackberry. Looks like I have been blaming the wrong insect for this for several years. Current information does show that they seldom lay eggs on anything but Ashe trees

habanero

habanero

ArboristSite Guru
...This was not what was infesting the hackberry. Looks like I have been blaming the wrong insect for this for several years. Current information does show that they seldom lay eggs on anything but Ashe trees

I tried to find a picture of what we used to see on our hackberry trees, but didn't have any luck. It's been several years since I saw them, but seems like they were a lot darker green than the EAB-almost black but for a little metallic sheen to them in the sun.

KsWoodsMan

KsWoodsMan

Addicted to ArboristSite
I tried to find a picture of what we used to see on our hackberry trees, but didn't have any luck. It's been several years since I saw them, but seems like they were a lot darker green than the EAB-almost black but for a little metallic sheen to them in the sun.

I looked some too and gave up on it.The EAB pictured doesnt look much like what I seen and described.Whatever borer it was it wasn't an EAB. Sounds too as if I need keep a closer eye on my Pecan trees to be sure they dont get overcome.
Even as late as Spring was this year I would think even the trees farther North would be out completely already.
Hope yours come to life soon.

Latest posts